Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCCB - Ceramic Composite Brakes. Any experiences?

GordonFreeman

I am looking at buying a used Porsche 997 S and a few have ceramic brakes.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Are they really better for braking performance?
Are the pads a fortune to replace?
How long do you get from the pads?
Do they really last longer than steel discs and conventional pads?

Etc.

Thanks!

Are they really better for braking performance? = YES
Are the pads a fortune to replace? = YES
How long do you get from the pads? = unknown
Do they really last longer than steel discs and conventional pads? = unknown

on the last 2, f ou 'just' drive it on the road, in theory you should get 100k+? although the latest versions are suppoed to be better and should see some life

I have them on my GT3 and don't really get on with them, stopping power is faultless, but they don't give much feel, and the front discs cracked very early in their life(8k). I have had one set replaced under warrenty(only after much moaning on my behalf to Porsche ME). That said, I haven't heard a single moan from anyone with them on a 997. I think the composite has been altered slightly as has the brake bias to slightly more rear. As soon as I have sold my boat out here in Saudi I am swapping to brembo's GTR set up.

Max

Sundeep said:
Are they really better for braking performance? = YES not based on what I've heard compared to steel Alcons.
Are the pads a fortune to replace? = YES no more than regular pads (PCCBs accept regular pads, or even RS29s)
How long do you get from the pads? = unknown (same as before I believe)
Do they really last longer than steel discs and conventional pads? = unknownyes, prior to delamination[/color]

in red

My GT2 is still on original pads & discs after 46k hard miles. I find them to be the best brakes I have ever had on a car.
I tried a 997TT with standard Porsche steel brakes and that confirmed the superiority of the stopping power of PCCB.
[read that as the 997TT brakes made me sh*t my pants!]
Of course I don't do track days but I drive very fast across country and usually LFB to settle the GT2 into a bend.
I know others have had failures but in IMO you won't find better with the plus of no brake dust or squeel, reduced weight, etc.

Like Hog said, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with PCCB on the road, however, with the GT2 and 3 both being very track orientated, it's disappointing on a car brake system that costs so much, that fail in such a short distance once on a track.

Max

I have Gen 1 on a 996TT Cab, and latest Gen on a 997RS

The Gen 1's are used only for road use, and now have covered 25k, without the slightest problem, the discs still look new, and i'm still on original pads, they have awesome alround performance, and i would spec them everytime.
I'm sure this would not be the case if the car was tracked heavily, but it's not, so i am very happy with them.

The latest Gen on the 997 are better still, and are designed to cope with the heat a lot better, they are lasteing very well after 16 trackdays, and 60+laps of the Ring.
Pad wear will be similar to steels.
If used for the road, i can't see any reason why the discs won't last the life of the car, and then some.

Hope that helps

G.

I do have an 8 page guide to PCCB if anyones got them or going to look at a car with them

it tells you exactly what to look for when buying a car with them

it does concentrate the mind when you know its £5K Plus if you miss something

This is an amazing response to my 1st post. Thanks a lot. :)

I think, from the replies, that the verdict is that Gen2 PCCBs would be fine for what I need. I just needto work out if I want to pay the premium.

Just to explain, although from the UK, I currently live in Germany and thought it would not be fit and proper to leave Germany without buying another 911 (I had one some years ago) and drive it in the land of it manufacture.

In the process of convincing the higher authorites of the wisdom of this idea. The Yellow brake calipers appealed to her.

I may be back for more info as we close on the final 997.

(PM'd Mark for his PCCB guide)

Thanks, Guys!

GF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back