Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sim card adapter

abcheetham

Hockenheim
Anyone know where i can get a sim card adapter so that i can use the phone? Is it literally the credit card skeleton that my sim card arrived in or a specific gadget?

er - dunno! how do i find that out?

On an 01 I think it is likely you have PCM 1, which does have a slot the size of a credit card for a sim card. You won't be able to use the bit your sim came in if you have popped it out as it won't stay attached and you risk it falling out. I am sure there is probably a proper adapter.

Reason I originally asked is I saw someone selling adapters for the PCM 2 on eBay, is a smaller tray, just big enough for the postage stamp sized sims.

oh right thanks mate Yes i have the credit card thingy so that'll be PCM 1 then. I have managed a temporary solution thanks to childhood memories of blue peter. I got an old card, and cellotaped a sim card in place (leaving the chip exposed) and then tried it - hey presto sim card contents on display and a signal. However, still can't dial out for some reason so will try and work that one out now!!

elrao said:
On an 01 I think it is likely you have PCM 1, which does have a slot the size of a credit card for a sim card. You won't be able to use the bit your sim came in if you have popped it out as it won't stay attached and you risk it falling out. I am sure there is probably a proper adapter.

Reason I originally asked is I saw someone selling adapters for the PCM 2 on eBay, is a smaller tray, just big enough for the postage stamp sized sims.

There isn't a proper adapter that I know of, but a bit of 'sticky backed plastic' on the other side to the electrical connections works wonders! That's what I've been using for 3 years so far...

abcheetham said:
oh right thanks mate Yes i have the credit card thingy so that'll be PCM 1 then. I have managed a temporary solution thanks to childhood memories of blue peter. I got an old card, and cellotaped a sim card in place (leaving the chip exposed) and then tried it - hey presto sim card contents on display and a signal. However, still can't dial out for some reason so will try and work that one out now!!

What network are you on? I think it only works with Vodafone and one other network (O2?).

that'll be why my virgin simcard isn't dialing out then eh? I have an 02 one so I'll try that in my Blue peter special and report back

have nw established that o2 doesn't seem to work either!

In the old days BT Cellnet and Vodafone worked on a different frequency to T-Mobile & Orange, which is why you couldn't switch some old phones between networks even if they were unlocked. Then as most phones became dual-band they could cope with all domestic networks, then Tri-Band as the US frequency was different etc etc.

Just wonder if the PCM 1 has a limited frequency which is why it only works on Vodafone. However 2001 was well into the Tri-Band Era of phones, so it would seem strange ... but then PCM 1 was designed in the 80s by the look of it! :lol:

Blimey - you know your phones! Well, i'll try and get it working on a vodafone sim so will order one today but if not I can live without it! Small price to pay for 996 ownership me thinks.

PCM1 was developed prior to the launch of the 996 in 1997 - and I think maybe it is Cellnet that was the other network that works, and that's why I thought O2 would be OK... ho-hum!

What I do is use a Vodafone PAYG card and divert my mobile to it: I have my mobile set up to divert to the car if not answered within 4 rings, I then set the PAYG card to divert to my mobile's voicemail if 'not available' That way I don't have to keep switching anything on or off - if I'm in the car I just ignore the mobile until it switches to the car system and away you go :)

now that's clever!

abcheetham said:
now that's clever!

It did take a year of experimenting with dual SIM cards and things before I worked that out! :wink:

One other thing, I set my car SIM to hide the number when I dial out - otherwise people keep phoning back on that number (and if you are not in the car it goes straight to your mobile voicemail without ringing your mobile!)

A seemingly never ending stream of very useful tips - thanks a lot. (Aren't forums brilliant!) I'll let you know how I get on with my vodafone PAYG sim card.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back