Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 as a track car vs 996 GT3

wowow

Hi, I am new to the forum and hope you guys can help me out on this :

I currently own a boxter and have taken it to the track a few times and fell in love with it. I like to get a more performance oriented car so that I can use it day-to-day as well as on the track, say once a month. I am considering a manual 964 with normal spec, which I can then beef up the necessary departments for track purpose - Roll cage, breaks, engine... My rationale :
1/. 964 with mod is cheaper than getting a track oriented off-the-shelf model like the RS or 996 GT3 ( yes the mod may not be as good in terms of performance, but can be close )
2/. In case of accident, its cheaper to fix
3/. Nothing beats the sound of an air-cool engine
4/. Love to see a 964 passing the 996 and 997

Recommendations ?

Well that's what I did and also started in a boxster :D

I would say get the 964 to enjoy both modding it and then tracking it. It is great fun on track and draws a lot of attention from others. However, don't expect to be passing GT3s. It will be the other way round. Personally, I think GT3s sound as good as air-cooled 911s but with a different tone (more modern race car noise).

In terms of your rationale 2), as someone else on here once said to me, the conversation you have with the other half when you get home having bent a £50k+ car on track will be rather more painful than it would be if you have bent something cheapish.

Hi Wowow,
I can tell you haven't heard a Mathey tuned GT3 on full noise judging by that comment. I heard it, then I bought it.... simple as that! Can you say Race car!

if you can get you 964 below 1000kg and more than 300 bhp it could certainly be up there with the GT3's

as for crashing, I prefer to adopt a no crashing policy

Sundeep said:
if you can get you 964 below 1000kg and more than 300 bhp it could certainly be up there with the GT3's

as for crashing, I prefer to adopt a no crashing policy

And I quite like the addition of A Manning trackday Insurance combined with the above....

Sundeep said:

I was also going to mention this as there are a few cars out there that are very light and powerful (one of these is for sale at the moment by a new 911UK member - Christer). However the cost involved to do it properly would probably be similar to buying a Mk 1 GT3 in the first place :shock: .

Boxsey said:
Sundeep said:

I was also going to mention this as there are a few cars out there that are very light and powerful (one of these is for sale at the moment by a new 911UK member - Christer). However the cost involved to do it properly would probably be similar to buying a Mk 1 GT3 in the first place :shock: .

and then a cup car whizzes by all of us.... There is always someone faster, drive what you love!

Jeff said:
and then a cup car whizzes by all of us.... There is always someone faster, drive what you love!

Exactly! And you mention your car being used as a daily driver and track car - an extreme tracked up lightweight 964 will not make for a good road companion. I'm afraid that the only car which can do the daily drive and trackdays well is a GT3.

And Sundeep's no craching policy is recommended.

wowow said:
Hi, I am new to the forum and hope you guys can help me out on this :

I currently own a boxter and have taken it to the track a few times and fell in love with it. I like to get a more performance oriented car so that I can use it day-to-day as well as on the track, say once a month. I am considering a manual 964 with normal spec, which I can then beef up the necessary departments for track purpose - Roll cage, breaks, engine... My rationale :
1/. 964 with mod is cheaper than getting a track oriented off-the-shelf model like the RS or 996 GT3 ( yes the mod may not be as good in terms of performance, but can be close )
2/. In case of accident, its cheaper to fix
3/. Nothing beats the sound of an air-cool engine
4/. Love to see a 964 passing the 996 and 997

Recommendations ?

Hi

'Boxsey' makes reference to me in this thread. I have a 964 Carrera 2 which was built by 9m/Ninemeister over a period of time. The latest incarnation dynoed at 371hp, and 462Nm torque on their dyno. There is a separate thread on this, but suffice to say that if I add up the *parts alone* cost on the car (no labour whatsoever, incl porting heads) is £20K I love the noise that 964's make and prefer it to a GT3 to be honest. The car is a narrow body with no silly wings etc, and so is a stealthy car (apart from the noise;)). Probably one of the quickest road-focussed 964's in the UK. If you know Colin Belton at Ninemeister you can of course speak to the man himself who built it, but if you need any info or are interested in seeing the car, PM me. Currently the car weighs in at around 1320kgs with half a tank of fuel IIRc, and has the heavy power seats with no weight savings in place. IMHO, this car as it is keeps up with a GT3 from about 3500 to the redline at 7200. It is not economically viable to do it from scratch yourself , but in this case it may be a good solution?

Hi Steve

Yes, I know -its 50% down to the fact that the paintwork is getting sorted (should be finished tomorrow) and I didn't want to post pics without it looking its best, and 50% that I kind of want to keep it...:)

I will try to keep the dithering to a minimum....but its not easy - over 6 years and a lot of good memories....sigh...

christer said:
Hi Steve

Yes, I know -its 50% down to the fact that the paintwork is getting sorted (should be finished tomorrow) and I didn't want to post pics without it looking its best, and 50% that I kind of want to keep it...:)

I will try to keep the dithering to a minimum....but its not easy - over 6 years and a lot of good memories....sigh...

I suspect that when you see it gleaming you'll want to keep it :D

I think you mentioned, "once a month track day". In a GT3 I think this could be seriously costly. I think a GT3 costs about £1000-1500 per track day in wear and tear and fuel etc. Just something to keep in mind.

Elite Detailing said:
I think you mentioned, "once a month track day". In a GT3 I think this could be seriously costly. I think a GT3 costs about £1000-1500 per track day in wear and tear and fuel etc. Just something to keep in mind.

I would say the cost is closer to £600 on top of the event price. Apart form the event price, the cost is only consumables like fuel, tyres and brake pads.

Over 12 trackdays in a GT3 (approx):

6 rear tyres = £1800
4 front tyres = £1k
1 set of RS29s = £350
Fuel = £150 per event (depending on how far away)
Insurance = trackday coverage free if you're with A Manning.
Total = £4950

and allowing for another £2k for extra misc expenses like 2 intermediate oil services and the occasional cheap overnighter, the total is about £7k or about £600/TD on top of the event cost.

I would be surprised if a 964 or 993 were really that much cheaper... maybe net 25% cheaper once you factor in the event costs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back