Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo v 996 Turbo S

donnakebab

I'm toying with an X50 'v' a later Turbo S, and in terms of performance am I right in thinking they are much of a muchness? The difference being the Ceramic Brakes - what are the real issues with these? Cost of replacement etc - maintenance if low mileage ? I'm not sure at all!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Donna

donnakebab said:
I'm toying with an X50 'v' a later Turbo S, and in terms of performance am I right in thinking they are much of a muchness? The difference being the Ceramic Brakes - what are the real issues with these? Cost of replacement etc - maintenance if low mileage ? I'm not sure at all!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Donna

Hi matey

The x50 basically is an S as stated without the brakes (though the brakes were available as an option).

I opted for a non-X50 version in the end, as the performance gains are very negligable unless you intend to tune it further.

JJ

Donnakebab

not sure how I missed this post, but here is the official info on the 996 Turbo S, it may not have been so special as previous 911 Turbo S generations.......

Porsche is extending its product range to include the 911 Turbo S. The new model will be available at Porsche dealers around the globe from August 2004, as a coupe and as a convertible. At 5,700 revolutions per minute, it has an output of 331 kW (450 BHP). This is 30 BHP more than the output of the 911 Turbo.

Thanks to the use of larger turbochargers and a further improved intercooler, as well as a revision of the engine electronics, the Porsche 911 Turbo S realises torque of a handsome 620 Newton metres, which is available between 3,500 and 4,500 revolutions. It reaches its maximum speed at 307 km/h. The Turbo S with manual transmission (coupe) sprints from zero to 200 km/h in 13.6 seconds. This is another 0.8 seconds faster than the 911 Turbo.

Another characteristic of the Turbo S is the standard Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB). It sports punched and internally ventilated ceramic brake discs with a diameter of 350 millimetres at the front and back (911 Turbo: 330 millimetre steel brake discs with a diameter of 350 millimetres front and back) and six-piston monobloc fixed callipers at the front (911 Turbo: four-piston).

In addition to the Turbo S logo on the boot lid and on door mouldings and centre console, this vehicle can be identified by its 18-inch wheels in "GT silver metallic". The hubcaps sport a coloured Porsche crest. The extended standard features include cruise control, a six CD changer system and the green tinted band at the top of the windscreen. For this new model the special colour, dark olive metallic, can be ordered at no extra charge.

When looking at the dashboard, the driver's eye immediately notices not only the aluminium-coloured dial faces but also the "Turbo S" logo on the rev counter. If buyers decide in favour of natural leather, this material is specially embossed on the middle strips of the seats, the steering wheel rim (where it is handled), the shift lever and the hand brake lever.

Attachments

• 996_turbos_182.jpg
    996_turbos_182.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2,092

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back