Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Turbo

dick jones

Monza
I've been reading up on the 964 Turbo and the general thoughts seem to be that the 3.6 was a better car than the 3.3 and is the one to have, I know the 3.6 is a rarer animal and costs more but is it worth the extra.
As anyone owned or driven both who could express their oppinion as when I sell the RS this may be the route I take, but at present still at the top of my list it is a 964 C2.

DIK

964 RS to 965 I can just about understand but 964 RS to 964 C2.....? :shock:

~ Maxie

The acceleration in gear is supposed to be the same for the RS and the Turbo with both cars being standard so you should be used to that. Not quite sure how disappointed you'd be going to a C2.

My guess is that Dik (spelled like that to get past the swear filter :lol: ) wants a car mostly for the road? Surely even you RS boys would agree that for everyday use as a road car, a C2 is a good choice (especially if taking into account the cost vs RS/turbo).

Since owning the RS I have found out that I am not that into trackdays and I don't like ragging a 40K + car around a track, yes yes I know they were built for it but I can't do it not to mine anyway. As Boxsey says I really only want a road car and might occassionaly take it round a track if the mood takes me, also the extra seats means we can use it as a family car which is not possible with the RS.

As for the turbo craving I think the 3.6 looks like sex on wheels but is it worth the extra money and running costs over a C2 and my gut feeling is it's not, because Porshe ownership to me is not just about speed and let's face it a C2 is no slow coach and can be tweaked if required.

Dik

As for the turbo craving I think the 3.6 looks like sex on wheels but is it worth the extra money and running costs over a C2

Hang on, some serious counselling is needed here, cost and practicality shouldn;t be uttered in the same sentence,

I think the steps in the process are:
Find one
Decide you want it
think about it, (this usually takes 3 or 4 seconds)
Find out how easy it is to justify it to wife/partner, (usually a pair of shoes does the trick)
Scrimp, save, sell your soul, to buy it

Because you know, deep down in your heart, if thats what you really want, anything else will just not do, and in the long run, you pay out for a stop-gap, and end up losing money.

Yes bitter experience,
Wanted a porsche 5 years ago
Ended getting an MGB to do up and make money on in the short term
spent 12K on MG, sold for 5k

Bought porsche, happy days !!

Swap Available

I agree with others, to swap from an RS to a C2 is an odd move. I could understand to a Turbo. Totally different sort of car and drive, but fun in its' own way.

An RS handles totally different to a C2. The C2 will still be an excellent car, I have had mine for nearly 3 years and still love it. Mind you it is in good nick and I keep it clean.

Perhaps I could swap mine for yours, LOL. OR, wait till I'm going to the Ring for a long weekend, say at Easter, and I'll swap for a week, just so that we could both experience each others cars. Hee, Hee.

Cheers
Trevor

DJ

The extreme manner to look at this is that the 3.3 is that it's more 930 Turbo in a 964 Body, where as the 3.6 was finally all new ('ish for a 911) and full 964.

If you can find one a 3.6 is a solid bet.

I hate to say this but if your into a car like the RS with the values they command, wouldn't it make more sense to get a GT3 with a comfort specification? It will be usable than a 964 turbo, even the 3.6, and just as quick.

And speaking from experience and IMHO, the turbo lag would spoil the ownership experience if the car was to be used regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back