Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C2 Tyres

N Flitter

Just at 10500 miles & the rears need replacing.

Is it OK to 'mix' the tyres? ie.... a set of Pilot Sport 2 on the rear & keep two Pirelli Rossos on the front?

Just concerned about Insurance issues & handling on a Porsche etc?

Hi there & welcome.

If you search for 'tyres' you will find a plethora of threads on here. As an aside, I would always suggest searching before posting on any topic as there are very few topics that havent been covered on here.

I'm not the expert on tyres, but I think these views are commonly accepted:
- you need N rated tyres (rated to a high speed, suitable for Porsche's)
- 4wd cars deffo need all 4 tyres to be the same (for tread reasons etc). I think 2wd its less critical but the purists on here would prob keep them the same
- different brands have been found by punters on here to last longer, or be quieter. I think ContiSports got the vote in that respect, but pls dont quote me on that
- legal tyre tread limit is 1.6mm. Ignore that for your car. You didnt buy a car like yours to then go right to the limit on your tyre treads. I suspect most of us change tyres when they are at c.3mm. Trackdays will get you down to 3mm quickly, but then again easy driving could see tyres last 10k miles, which yours seem to have done.

As I say - search a few posts and you will find some good advice on which brands to go for and also where to buy them cheapest.

Enjoy

Thanks wagonface ....... & apologies as I should have done a 'search' first.

I am a bit of a purist to be honest so after thought I'd have to have the same all round. Just a case of which brand now.

N Flitter said:
Thanks wagonface ....... & apologies as I should have done a 'search' first.

I am a bit of a purist to be honest so after thought I'd have to have the same all round. Just a case of which brand now.

Nigel

Go with a set of four the same brand and type every time. It is just not worth messing around with brands/compounds with a C2S-especially at this time of year!!

What didn't you like about the P Rosso's?

Cheers,
Gareth

Gareth......... I have around 2K left on the Rosso's but I'm changing to a full set of PS2's . It's wet out there & in a car like the C2S with 295's I feel I need more tread or maybe just a different tyre. It's not that I drive fast all the time but there's alot of country roads where I live.

I had Rosso's on both my M3's & each time after 10K miles I changed to PS2 & found them better in the wet & generally all round. The M3 is a far more 'twitchy' tail happy car in comparison to the C2S but PS2 gives me more confidence & piece of mind as they were my preference on the M3. . Just my opinion of course & maybe it;ll be a different story in the C2S.

And, as you say it's wise to fit a set of four. Found some for £810.00 fitted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back