Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 & RS Brake Upgrade

Porsche

Time that I need to replace my entire brake system, the rears are approaching their end, although the front bells on the Alcon Brake discs are knackered so I need to change the lot :shock: which means new discs and pads.

I also need to change all of the front calliper seals as the track days the car has been thgrough means that the rubbers on the inside of the calipers have worn away. I am also fitting GT2 rear brake ducts, to see how they fare.

So I've taken a few pics to add as a Bigger Brake DIY thread, or si the plan hopefully. The attached is what I have got which is an excellent brake upgrade for a 996 GT3.

The rears appear to be off a 996 Turbo at 330mm, so out of interest what was the OEM front and rear brake sizes for a Mk2 GT3 ?

Front Brakes
362mm Alcon Front Discs
Pagid Yellow RS29 Pads

Rear Brakes
330mm Porsche Discs
Pagid Yellow RS29 Pads

Brake Fluid
Castrol SRF

Brake Ducts
Front - Cup
Rear - GT2

1st up The front discs & pads are being changes and the rear brake ducts fitted, with pictures to follow.

Note - Every bolt, washer and screw was also replaced.

I decided not to get them done at the same time as all the parts cost just shy of £2500 (which does make one go weak at the knees) but this lot should last well into 2009!

Doing it step by step saves a few pennies but gives me a chance to give everything a good going over and the rears have a bit more life left in them, so will be done in a months time.

So here are the main parts, those 362mm Alcon's are large and then some, at 14" how time have changed, I remember my 1st car a VW Golf running on mere 14" wheels, which were still large back then !

Attachments

• 996gt3_brakesupgrade_149.jpg
    996gt3_brakesupgrade_149.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 639
  • 330mmporsche_pagidyellowrs29_173.jpg
    330mmporsche_pagidyellowrs29_173.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 639
  • 362mmalcon_pagidyellowrs29_185.jpg
    362mmalcon_pagidyellowrs29_185.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 639
I will keep looking at how you get on Sundeep, maybe something I will get done! Are you doing all the work yourself, I would'nt like to change things inside me calliper. :shock:

Should I think about RS29's? How much better are they than OEM? And what is the costings (inc fittling).

Ricky Bobby said:
I will keep looking at how you get on Sundeep, maybe something I will get done! Are you doing all the work yourself, I would'nt like to change things inside me calliper. :shock:

I've rebuilt three sets of 4 piston calipers. Simple simon stuff REALLY!

The rebuild kits come with the rubber grease necessary. There is a seal around the piston you replace then the dust cover. That it all there is to do with it ASSUMING you haven't actually damaged a cylinder. If you have no brake problems when you do it then more than likely you will have no wear. You can simply pop all pistons, clean, replace seal, replace dust cover, done.

You would be quite surprised just how easy it really is. Yes, you could get ***** and measure bores and cylinders but seriously, no one will do this. Really believe me, unless the bore is scored, nothing more than a freshen up gets done.

As I've said I've done three sets of Nissan GTR callipers and one of those was on my car for a long time without fault.

Cheers,

Ricky Bobby said:
Should I think about RS29's? How much better are they than OEM? And what is the costings (inc fittling).

RS29s are an endurance race pad - the same pad used by Porsche and other race teams at Le Mans. One set of pads can last them the entire 24hrs!

I think it depends on how you use your car: if it spends time on track, you will find a massive improvement with RS29s. If you use it on the road, RS29s don't work as well at low temps and they will never get into their optimum operating temperature. However they are perfectly fine on the road apart from the squealing if the pads become unbedded.

the biggest change is going away fron the noisy Floating Alcon 350mm discs to Fixed 362mm discs.

As for those who have been for a ride in my car in the last few months, they would agree it has been noisy !

Now without any floating disc noise, I'm hearing every other noise in the car !

Sundeep said:
the biggest change is going away fron the noisy Floating Alcon 350mm discs to Fixed 362mm discs.

As for those who have been for a ride in my car in the last few months, they would agree it has been noisy !

Is that Carpet mat still moving about !!!!! :lol:

Floating Alcons? Do you mean your bells were worn so were moving around? Otherwise I can't understand the difference between what you had and what you have other than the size difference?

Sundeep said:

Sundeep - you've got it all mixed up!

You used to have the old Generation 1 350mm Alcons which did not have the spring mounted bobbins of the Generation 2 Alcons, hence the Gen1s were noisy.

The Generation 2 Alcons are not fixed... they are a floating design but they employ spring bobbins which result in them being silent.

The bonus is that the Gen2 Alcons are larger in diameter at 362mm. The Gen1 Alcons were the same size as the OEM discs at 350mm.

PolarExpress said:
Sundeep said:

You used to have the old Generation 1 350mm Alcons which did not have the spring mounted bobbins of the Generation 2 Alcons, hence the Gen1s were noisy.

The Generation 2 Alcons are not fixed... they are a floating design but they employ spring bobbins which result in them being silent.

The bonus is that the Gen2 Alcons are larger in diameter at 362mm. The Gen1 Alcons were the same size as the OEM discs at 350mm.

That makes more sense.

PolarExpress said:

OK, I'll got with that reply :D

All I know the lack of noise is wierd !

Sundeep said:
PolarExpress said:

OK, I'll got with that reply :D

All I know the lack of noise is wierd !

No worries my young jedi... with time learn you will! :p :wink:

What's the advantage of 362mm discs when the pad area is identical? Do you get a ridge on the inner or outer part of the disc as they wear?

I'm only asking as I'm going with PFC discs on the front when the disc are knackered, I already have the bells so it seems a shame to waste them :)

Damian said:
What's the advantage of 362mm discs when the pad area is identical? Do you get a ridge on the inner or outer part of the disc as they wear?

I'm only asking as I'm going with PFC discs on the front when the disc are knackered, I already have the bells so it seems a shame to waste them :)

My Padawan learner will be along to answer that one, but they do make a slight difference, although then tyre limits come into it but isn't there a point when an 8 pot calliper can be used ?

Did have a look at PFC pads as they are a bargain verses the PAGID.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back