Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Haggling discounts on used 997s

GD

Barcelona
Hi,

Would be very interested in people's opinions on discounts from buying a 997 at an OPC and an Indy.

If we assume there's no trade-in, paying cash, what would I expect from:

a) An OPC - my view is next to nothing, except a free cup of coffee

b) An Indy - anything between 5 and 10%, based on a number of things:

i) service history + when it's next service is due and what type
ii) warranty
iii) tyres
iv) import/C16
v) owners
vi) accidents
vii) spec/colour
viii) supply/demand
ix) stuff that needs fixing
x) how long the dealer's had the car (and time of month/quarter/year)

I've been looking into prices and a 997 standard seems be going anywhere between 45-50 with the OPC being suprisingly competitive.

Bearing in mind I'm after a tip and neutral where to buy from (ie.OPC versus Indy), what should I be looking for from a sticker point of view...hugely subjective I know.

I'm now thinking that about early £40k's should be the target? Realistic?

Thoughts appreciated!

OPC's from my experience won't discount a used car by much - it does depend which dealer group you go to for instance. In my experience only, the Porsche GB owned dealers which are Guildford, Reading, Chiswick, Hatfield and Mayfair - won't discount at all (i might be wrong) but some of the franchises will. The franchised OPC's which are part of large dealer groups are probably more sensitive to timing as they will have targets to hit - and will often try and hit targets whilst making a loss on a car - end of the month is always a favorite - however not last day of month as they will want to have the car sold, paid for and collected by their month-end so negotiating the last week of the month would be good.

Don't forget that when you buy from an OPC - the car should be immaculate and will carry a 12 month warranty + a good set of tyres.

Indie's probably won't just sell a car for the sake of it however depends on how long it has been in stock ** for - what margin they have in it and whether you take it in current condition or make them carry out repairs that are needed. The indie's don't seem to have a huge stock of 997's

** dealers who use a stocking plan to finance their stock will probably have a 60 or 90 restriction on a car - if it's not sold by then, then the dealer has to settle the stock finance off or apply for an extension - so that might be a handy tip.

You can if you are good get up to £2K off at an OPC depending on how long its been in stock. Standard fare is £1K off the sticker price.

Remember there are a lot of 997's and a lot of dealers, so shop around and bid them in the balls.

If an OPC overtly discounts a new Porsche -and with some regularity-they risk losing their franchise.

However in the real world and at quiet times (i.e. now) there can be modest (very!) deals to be had on new cars.

As for used there is no average margin as it entirely depends on that individual car as a specific profit centre and what it "owes" the OPC.

If you are looking at a C2S the OPC market starts in the upper £40's, early £50's and anything starting with a '4' would be a very good buy. The average reconditioning bill for a C2S through an OPC is £1,800-£2,400 so they have the very best cars-as opposed the "cheapest"

Good luck with your search.

p.s. for what is is worth the deals at any PCGB owned dealerships are laughable as their cars are the most expensive the network in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back