Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty woes 997

andy1496

Hi.
I bought my wife a 997 C2s in April this year. I purchased it from OPC Solihull and paid £60k for it. It's and 05 car in Atlas Met Grey with PCMII Sports Chrono Plus and various other options.

The car is warrantied until July 08.

Approximately three weeks ago the orange warning light came on whilst my wife was on her daily commute. It went off after a few seconds and stayed off for the rest of that day. The following morning, the light stayed on from being started in the garage. She rang Porsche Assist who sent out an RAC or Green Flag truck to recover the car to OPC Leeds.

Before recovering the vehicle the recovery man connected a laptop computer to the OBC and told my wife that car had a history of misfires having found evidence of previous diagnostic tests whilst the laptop was connected. Unfortunately he erased this history before recovering the vehicle to Leeds.

OPC Leeds had the car for 3 days and admitted that they couldn't find any fault with the car. They replaced a coil on one of the cylinders as it looked to be slightly corroded. In the abscence of anything else this is what they concluded was causing the mis-fire.
My wife got the car back.

Within a few days the car began to sound rough again and broke down on Monday morning on her way to work.

Again the car has been recovered and is in OPC Leeds.

They are now saying that the misfire has been caused by a bolt "falling off" the engine which has probably made it's way into the engine potentially causing a lot of damage to the car. Aside from pestering us to let them change the rear tyres (at substantially more cost than I can get them from elswhere ) they are saying that the fault is most probably not covered by the warranty. Furthermore they have quoted £1700 or thereabouts to strip the engine and potentially a lot more depending on what damage they find.

I am very annoyed to say the least. I must have rung and left messages at least ten times now at OPC Leeds,but they don't return my calls, instead ringing my wife who then has to relay the message onto me.

I just wondered if this is a familiar ploy by OPC's and what I can do to convince them that this should be dealt with under the warranty.

I've got to say it all sounds very unlikely to me. Do bolts really fall off high performance engines?

Many thanks for any assistance/pointers

Andy Brown

From you have described, certainly sounds like a warranty issue to me...nothing else. A 'fallen off' bolt with no further explanation may wel suggest they didn't tighten it the first time they worked on it. A friend of mine had a problem with his PCM II unit in an OPC warrantied 996 C4S and OPC West London refused to repair it saying that it was out of warranty. He just said they would be hearing from his lawyers if they didn't fix the job which he stated was clearly within warranty. The OPC relented and subsequently fixed it.

I think any OPC would hate negative publicity, after all, what is there to stop you from going to the local press and giving them a printout of your thread on this forum? They certainly wouldn't like that as the locality would then stay away in droves. This is the tack I always use as any reputable garage would hate for this to happen.

Please keep us informed of what happens. This is certainly very interesting.

~ Maxie :?

complete warranty issue

Speak to the Dealer Principal if you are getting no joy from the service dept.

Then take it to Porsche GB in Reading if you're still not happy.

They should sort it out

I had very similar experience with OPC Sheffield (Also owned by JCT600)

Similar faults too on my old 996C2.. traced (after they changes all six coils, plugs and MAF) to be an intermittent problem with Crank positional encoder.. £1800 later !! Also had tyre slow puncture, 17" front P-Zero N2 for £175, afterwards found price of £100 on blackcircles.com.. fitted

The MAF was the deciding point for me NEVER to use any OPC again..

£285 for MAF unit
£140 labour

Also had crazy run around about a Key/locking/immobiliser problem with OPC Sheffield - in fact Porsche Reading had the car for a day and couldn't solve the problem, they couldn't even get the fuel cap unlocked and the doors reset?. They said it was due to a 'damp' floor carpet that had caused the issue with the locking systems. Eventually Sheffield said it was a key battery (which I had already changed) then suggested a new key and quoted £150 -

By then I had been introduced to Zentrum in Nottingham by a guy on 911 UK - Ten mins with these guys they said for sure needs new key they tend to last about 4/5 years only and were surpriesed that this was the original one on a 98 car. Ordered new key solved ALL issues sorted £80...

Oh BTW Zentrum reckon MAF is about a 10-15 minute job..

Sounds you are up t' north so try Strasse they have good reputation.

http://www.strasse.co.uk/

Similar issue with OPC Solihull :x with an apparent engine problem ? eventually sorted with head of dealership after a phone call to Porsche Headquarters UK, no idea what was actually wrong but a pain to sort out, which should have not been the case

As has been said, phone customer services at Porsche GB. IMO no way you should be liable for any of this.

Having waited all day for any news I rang Porsche GB customer Services. For info the number is 0118 9303666.
The chap I spoke with was already aware of the case but isn't dealing with it. At the moment the work has been declined and will not be covered by warranty!!!! ...................but Porsche GB are, "Doing all they can behind the scenes to get me the best possible outcome".

I asked about the bolt and made my views known as to how unlikely it all sounded. His answer to this was, " I'm not technical but apparently it's feasible that this has happened".

I'll update as and when I know more.
I've rung the service department at Leeds OPC but the service guy is at lunch. If he doesn't ring me back soon I'm going over there later today.

Thanks for your support

Andy

I'm not technical either, but how could a bolt cause an intermittent misfire? Surely it would either make the engine fail, or not?

i'd drop a PM to 'Sid Spanner' on here, a recently ex-OPC technician, to get his view.

Hi Andy, sorry to hear you are having problems with the car.

In my experience, Porsche GB Reading are the best avenue and they normally step up and help out. If it's not covered by warranty then there must be some goodwill.

Somebody the other day was mentioning engine failure due to a loose bolt = big repair bill. That case was a 2002 car not under warranty and Porsche agreed to pay 80% parts and 50% labour from memory.

You have to be in a better situation than that example.

That aside, haven't you said that the problem might have been pre-existing i.e. diagnostics confirm problems before you purchased the car?

Push Porsche GB mate.... Good luck

WTF!

Can they point to exactly where in the wording it states this isn't covered?

An engine fault has to be covered and I would absolutely get a lawyer involved if they don't pay, this is an absolute disgrace.

Esp as the car has never been out of the OPC network and you only bought it 6 months ago. It's only 2 years old for goodness sake, so within the original warranty period?

Just had a call from the service guy at OPC Leeds. The fault is with a bolt that holds the vario cam onto the end of the engine (his description). The bolt has come loose/come off and has potentially caused damage to the valves and other components within the engine block.
To the letter of the extended warranty, the part is definately not covered. TBH having spoken to him I believe he is doing all he can to persuade Porsche that it should be covered. No bolts nuts,washers or gaskets are covered by the warranty and are considered to be consumable items. Obviously the bolt in question is right in the middle of the engine. It's not something that can be checked either during service or the check that's made prior to issuing an OPC 12 month warranty. How anyone could check this bolt without dis-assembly (and subsequent warranty violation) is beyond me. Apparently I'll have a decision by Tuesday. Once they (hopefully) agree to cover the costs under warranty, a new bolt and washer will be fitted. The engine will then be started to see what damage, if any has been caused. A new engine is potentially on the cards.

I'll let you know how I get on. I really really don't need this at the moment :x

"No bolts, nuts, washers etc are covered by warranty" ? "They can't be inspected so aren't covered"
Sorry but I just don't see how they can possibly say this - are they saying that for example an engine ruined by a broken big-end bolt wouldn't be covered becasue you can't see it to inspect it? Total nonsense - if you used that argument every single internal component of an engine,gearbox,etc etc wouldn't be covered unless the part was dismantled first to check it.

exhaust

Mine has just been in for a noise on the exhaust which Bolton decided needed a pair of back boxes as the sports switch valves were faulty, I was one day out of warranty and quoted £1300 to replace them,I asked for them to contact Porsche who agreed to supply parts if I paid labour at about £160, seems a bit strange both sides to go at the same time.

andy1496 said:
To the letter of the extended warranty, the part is definately not covered. TBH having spoken to him I believe he is doing all he can to persuade Porsche that it should be covered. No bolts nuts,washers or gaskets are covered by the warranty and are considered to be consumable items.

What a crock of sh!t. How can they say that? It wouldn't stand up in court.
"Yes your majesty, I'm saying we won't warrant our engines against poor assembly."
"So Porsche, what does your warranty cover?"
"We prefer to cover non-moving parts"
"But isn't the point of a car that it moves?"
"Well..... It's quite unfortunate that people insist on actually driving a Porsche. We'd much prefer them to be treated like a Ferrari and parked in a museum."

And they say a Porsche is a car you can live with day to day.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back