Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hi Guys, well, finally got my '3 !!

Spenny_B

Hi gang,

After a combination of:

4months of looking
in some cases moving too slowly
in another case being gazumped (shafted) once a deal had been agreed
had a PPI "no-no" from Andy F...
and then deciding to up the budget...

...I've finally found my dream 911!! :p

For those that know Steve (aka Housemaster) from PH, we swapped car for funds respectively last Thursday and I'm now the proud owner of a Mk2 GT3.

The day couldn't have been better - forever memorable, just like your first drive, solo, in a Porsche. The weather was superb and as fate would have it, I was due to attend our quarterly kickoff meeting at Silverstone in the afternoon (how bloody convenient!) and so Andy and the Fearnsport boys checked over Steve's car in the morning. Diagnosis from Andy? "A cracking example of the Mk2, one of the best out there". Transaction done quicker than the speed of light, and then (after dull mtg) that memorable journey back from Silverstone to the furthest reaches of Kent.

Even the roads were ok and not snarled as usual (A5 being the chosen road instead of bland M1).

So, to the guys on the other "Help!" thread, as Daniel says, stick with it, it *will* happen, but don't get sucked in to those cars that need work. One of the Mk1's I looked at appeared great, but thanks to Andy, I saved a potential £10k-15k bill to put its history right and fix remedial items. Best £160 I ever spent.

Agree with the comments on the other thread re Andy's abilities...very VERY thorough and fussy.

I had to put the project on hold for a month whilst work commitments were undertaken and family holiday were enjoyed, and in that time took the time to reflect. I went cap-in-hand to raise the budget and asked myself that honest question of what do I REALLY need the car to do. Nice to have the Mk1 provenance, but I really wanted the peace-of-mind of having a car with the Mk2 upgrades, as mine is a day-to-day car and not a track toy. Nothing against Mk1's at all, in fact, I went from being open to either Mk1 or 2 at the beginning, to then really wanting a Mk1...but, the first '3 I drove was a Mk2, and it was that car which flicked my switch in a big way in terms of power delivery, so, Mk2 it ended up being.

New steed has the full years OPC warranty, just had its 25k service, new tyres all round, 11mths tax, Tracker already installed (in my case a mandatory req for Insurance, from day 1 of ownership)...literally, get in and drive it!

And now I'm broke!! :D

All-in-all, glad things have turned out like they have, worth it in the end, and you can't wipe the daft grin off my face at the moment!

Thanks to Ade, Daniel (Sate), Slippydiff (PH's), my mate Tom and The Fearnsport crew for their enduring patience and advice. There's been a lot!

Spencer

Congrats Spencer! Glad you found a car you were looking for that didn't need the work. You often get what you pay for - buy cheap, buy twice!

What is the colour and spec?

and TTIUWP!!!

This is great News Spencer..

We need colour, spec and lots of pictures..

I know how you must be feeling, I can still remember when I collected my babe back in March.. (I still smile everytime I drive her).

Very pleased for you mate..

Dan

Cheers Ade! Cheers Dan!

(TTIUWP...haha, ROFL, IHTUGFTO !!)

(I had to use Google for that one)

DSC00456a.jpg

In terms of spec, it's completely standard apart from RS29's, which I have to say, don't bite as well as I'd liked compared to OE pads (which I believe are also Pagid's, but P90's?), but I'm sure are far better when up to temp.

She's been dyno'd at 383hp, so very much on the money. Comfort spec, but with leather buckets, red belts, aircon, RHD (!), stock black gauges and centre console (which I was after, although only as a nice-to-have)...exactly the spec I was after, and the one that for me at this point in time, makes sense.

Trouble is, I'm now left feeling that this things faster than the Westfield. On paper, it shouldnt be anywhere near, but Jesus, it flies, and I have to say, unless I can get the geo somewhere a bit better than I have it at present, the Westfield isn't flicking my switch as much as the GT3. Maybe the time has come to part with the Westie?...

Nice Spec.. Sames as mine but a MK2, colour everything..

I have the r29's and your right, when there cold there not that good ! Warmed up is a different story !

Enjoy her, and hope to see you on the fourm meets and track events.

Dan

very nice and welcome :)

Are they really as Good as ........

:shock: Well done on the MkII GT3, I think it looks stunning mate, I'm also glad you picked a MkII, from what I read on here there seems to be a lot of MkII bashing by the Mk1 brigade, all in good spirit though....I hope!!! :D

These GT3's, are they really as good as you all say they are? I am getting my 2005 GT3 MkII in 4/6 weeks, she looks beautiful in Red and I can't wait to drive it, as some of you guys know I have just got my 997 c2s with the aero kit on, it has to be said that as an average Joe I can only keep 1 of them, so it's down to a few things like looks, 997 wins for me, then it's the power, on paper the 996 GT3 and the 3.8 997 S seem the same, then there's the price, their the same RRP, I think it's a hard one, the GT3 obviously has the purist vote and rareness, (okay I know the Mk1 is more so) but as far as the ignorant masses are concerned the opinion lies in favour of the 997. As a self confessed ignorant Porsche fan I would like to know all your thoughts??????
:arrow: :arrow: 8)

Re: Are they really as Good as ........

dvb247 said:
:shock: Well done on the MkII GT3, I think it looks stunning mate, I'm also glad you picked a MkII, from what I read on here there seems to be a lot of MkII bashing by the Mk1 brigade, all in good spirit though....I hope!!! :D

These GT3's, are they really as good as you all say they are? I am getting my 2005 GT3 MkII in 4/6 weeks, she looks beautiful in Red and I can't wait to drive it, as some of you guys know I have just got my 997 c2s with the aero kit on, it has to be said that as an average Joe I can only keep 1 of them, so it's down to a few things like looks, 997 wins for me, then it's the power, on paper the 996 GT3 and the 3.8 997 S seem the same, then there's the price, their the same RRP, I think it's a hard one, the GT3 obviously has the purist vote and rareness, (okay I know the Mk1 is more so) but as far as the ignorant masses are concerned the opinion lies in favour of the 997. As a self confessed ignorant Porsche fan I would like to know all your thoughts??????

how is it a 2005 car. most are 2003/2004.

richardofengland said:
dvb247 said:

As you say.. Most !

Or could be a late registration ?

Well done on the MkII GT3, I think it looks stunning mate, I'm also glad you picked a MkII, from what I read on here there seems to be a lot of MkII bashing by the Mk1 brigade, all in good spirit though....I hope!!!

Are they really as good?...well, there's guys on here that have been running them for years, and I'm only a mere beginner to GT3 land, but initial impressions are very very good.

I sold my C2 (996 3.4l) a month or so ago, but, this isn't a "C2 bashing" exercise where I swear blind that I'll never do myself the disservice of getting in another C2, far from it. I loved my C2, and it did all I asked of it very capably and enjoyably. One of the driving reasons for swapping was the fear of the unknown with (well documented and probably overhyped) engine problems. These engines are still the same family lump fitted in todays 997 Carreras, albeit that Porsche reckon theyve put to bed the intermediate shaft, liner & RMS issues...we wait with baited breath. My car was almost at the age of not being able to buy a warranty, so a move away to the GT1 derived engines was definately the way I wanted to go.

I'd be lying if I said that the sadistic (slightly hardcore?) element of me wanted something a little more special. I built the Westfield when I was 19, some 14yrs ago; it's evolved and evolved as a road, then road/track, and now track focussed car with over 500hp/tonne. Because of this, and how I used the car for so many years on the road (at one point my only car for 3yrs..yup, even with snow on the ground and without a roof...). In my own mind, my level of tolerance is perhaps higher than some peoples as to what is acceptable, fun, memorable and durable for an everyday car. I can remember most of the journeys I've had in the Westie, and thats what I'm looking to recapture with the GT3.

Not wishing to be condecending, but you say that on paper, the power for the 997 C2S and the GT3 are similar - I presume you've stretched the legs of the GT3? In fairness, I never did testdrive a 997, but logic says that the development of the 996 Carrera engine into the 997 would still not be anywhere near the GT3 lump at full-tilt. They are different engines entirely (well, the flat-6 configurations the same obviously!!). The GT3 is far more than just the engine, its the ratios in the 'box, the LSD, the balance and way it turns in, etc. Really, a world apart. (Again, NOT Carrera bashing by any means)

Sorry for lengthy reply, guess I'm just brain dumping some initial thoughts for my own clarity as much as anything else!! :D

Umm

I will find out soon enough what it's like I guess but you do have a point, I have only driven it on the road and the 3.8 seems so much quicker than any Porsche I have had before, so as they both have top end speeds of 190mph and 0 to 62 of 4.5ish I assumed to 3.6 GT3 to be simila on paper, but I guess as you have pointed out, that's where it ends, on a track it may well be worlds away!
Your car does look the knuts and when I do see them on the road I always end up craning my neck like an owl :shock:

Re: Umm

dvb247 said:
I will find out soon enough what it's like I guess but you do have a point, I have only driven it on the road and the 3.8 seems so much quicker than any Porsche I have had before, so as they both have top end speeds of 190mph and 0 to 62 of 4.5ish I assumed to 3.6 GT3 to be simila on paper, but I guess as you have pointed out, that's where it ends, on a track it may well be worlds away!
Your car does look the knuts and when I do see them on the road I always end up craning my neck like an owl :shock:

Absolutely, but not just on the track where you'll only tell the difference. Although the GT3 isn't (IMHO) like "living" with an Exige, like one dealer led me to believe, (even my Bro's 111R Elise is harsher than the '3), it still needs "driving" on the road - it took me 30mins on my way back the other day to pluck up the courage to take one hand off the wheel to change radio stations! :D ...I jest; in all seriousness, it needs driving more than, say, the turbo 996's and Carreras. If you want to waft across continents with ballistic pace and get out fresh as a daisy, then the TT's are probably a better bet.

...like I said though, I'm still very much in the learning phase, these are my initial thoughts and I bow down to those who've owned their '3's for longer than I.
[humilitymode=off] :lol:

PS...cheers for the kind words on mine....if I see another GT3 on the road once every 3-4mths, thats unusual, also part of the attraction, but also then have to see a physio to fix crooked neck!!

Congrats on your choice of transport, it's the choice of a new generation! I've had mine just 2 years this month, I normally get bored with cars after 6 to 12 months, my 3 still makes me smile every time I get in it, the only thing I would swap it for is an RS(996 or 7) or a GT2,as a reliable sports car, they really are 2nd to non. Learn to drive it properly, then drive it like you've stole it, it is one of the most rewarding driving exxperiences out there, and if you are ever stuck over a fault either someone on here or someone who someone else on here knows can probably sort you out.

Max

Thanks Max!

From what I've observed so far and in my months of searching/researching, the GT and RS forums definately seem far more community oriented than the regular ones (obvious, I know)...looking forward to getting stuck in!!

Cheers
S

Nice motor Spencer, that learning phase is always fun

Now if you're interested get it down to Brands Hatch on the 30th Nov and it can show you what it can do.

richardofengland said:

GT3 production was well into 2005 and cars were still being registered into 2006.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back