Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

K&N Induction...

Stuart

Just wodering if anyone has fitted the K&N cold air induction kit and whether it's a DIY job or book it in. Performance reports?

I'm taking Flatsix's excellent advice from a PM and thinking of improving her breathing. She's got the PSE so will this make her too loud for London roads? Booked in at Camtune for a front bumper respray (Mini reversed into me when parked, and then legged it, cracked and flaked paint...) While she's in thinking of lowering by 10mm and maybe consider Turbo or GT look bumper replacement, any thoughts?

Got to say I think I'm getting Porsche addicted....

Cheers.

on the mk1 996's it's is worth doing as airbox upgrades are quite useful

on my mk2 I just have a KN filter in place

Dervish,

i've fitted the K&N kit on my 99 C2. Its not too loud up until around 4500 revs when it starts to make a beautiful roar. I've got a muffler bypass on the exhaust and its not too loud with either to be honest (even with the roof down).

Throttle response seems freer and lighter too and it makes the engine bay look a bit more interesting than the standard airbox 8)

How do these compare to the Fabspeed Cold Air induction kit (red bit), or the Designtek kit (blue bit?)

Sundeep said:
on the mk1 996's it's is worth doing as airbox upgrades are quite useful

on my mk2 I just have a KN filter in place

Can a Standard 996 (mk1) not have a Cup Filter ?? They make a very nice noise.

K&N induction kit uses the cone filter which i think is like the cup filter?..

looks lovely in the engine bay though :D

Thanks.

Tim, was it hard to fit? Think I'm going to go for it. Anyone know a supplier in central/ west London where I can actually go and see for myself rather just buying online?

Dervish, its pretty straightforward.

It comes with goodinstructions for the assembly prior to fitting in the engine then its just a case of removing the old box and putting the induction kit in.

Its a straight replacement in terms of placement (even down to the rubber studs) and is sufficiently well made that there's no drilling or straining to get anything fitted. I had help from a mechanic mate of mine but i'd be confident enough to do it on my own.

Existing box off, flexible pipe jubilee clipped to inlet manifold, jubilee clip K&N tube to that and tighten everything up..... the old forum had a picture of mine fitted.

Admin, any chance of digging it out (didn't keep the old pic) Failing that i'll take another pic but it will be tomorrow night at the earliest now...? cheers
Tim

P.S. Yes Ade I do want that. Do you want to swap the PE for a cab? And probably the gf who won't let go of the cab :lol: :lol:

Tim Storey said:
P.S. Yes Ade I do want that. Do you want to swap the PE for a cab? And probably the gf who won't let go of the cab :lol: :lol:

You must be mad!

Go on, send us the pics :p :wink:

Have the design tech one(blue) got it off e bay for £40! Makes a nice noise v easy to fit, drops your mpg, mine by about 6mpg!

Ok, fitted...

A few things I learned though:

1) Make sure your brother hasn't still got your socket set and drill before you start!

2) Have your PCM and/ or radio codes to hand for when you reconnect the battery.

3) There is some drilling involved, 1 into the boot latch of the car, easy enough but just a warning...

Overall I'm very pleased :D She actually feels smoother through 1st and 2nd and audibly the K&N doesn't really kick in till after 4000rpm. I guess it's kind of like giving a smoker a new pair of lungs. Even the PSE sounds smoother but that could just be me...

Brought a smile to my face after forking out 230 for a new rear tyre this morning, bloody screws in the road! Anyone know of a cheap P Zerro supllier/ fitter in west London?

Attachments

• porsche_completedkandn_small_194.jpg
    porsche_completedkandn_small_194.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 656
  • porsche_completedkandn_small_194.jpg
    porsche_completedkandn_small_194.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 656
  • porsche_mas_small_185.jpg
    porsche_mas_small_185.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 656
  • porsche_mas_small_185.jpg
    porsche_mas_small_185.jpg