Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help locked out of my 964

simon yap

Hi All,

I desperately need your help. I am lock out of my car for the following reasons and need help to get in.
1) Battery is flat as I have not used the the car for 3 weeks. Hence central locking does not work.
2) Drivers side (LHD) lock has lost its connection to the door mechanism, when the battery is charged the Central locking works fine but it wont manually open lock.
3) Passenger lock can be opened but is too close to the wall in the garage so I cannot climb in.

My dilemma is that as I cannot get into the car, I cannot open the boot and as such cannot charge the battery.

At this stage my option is to drag the car out of the garage with a tow rope and a hefty diesel. (but the hand brake is on).

All help will be much appreciated.

Simon :oops:

Blimey, sounds a bit drastic. Are glass suckers easy to come by??

Simon

i live in birmingham, i just see how they steal cars....

:shock:

can the RAC \ AA etc help?

oooh just thought, can you jack up the car, hook jump leads to the starter motor to get you some power?

this wont start the car will it? providing there is no power to the solenoid....

I will have a look, to make life more complicated the car is reversed into the garage, I will have a look underneath tomorrow to see what I can access. Sadly I am mechanically inept.

Is it possible to access the bonnet release cable from under the car??

Whereabouts in Brum are you, we live in staffs and might see you on the road.

Simon

down by International Airport....

its a weekend car, so doesn't get out much.....

we need to arrange a midlands meeting i think.... but thats another topic.

Dragging the car out with a tow rope would seem the best bet. As long as you do it carefully, I don't think you will damage much. Just FYI, I always park the car in the garage with the handbrake off (its a level surface) and then the braking system is not under stress when I leave it in there for up 2 to 3 weeks at a time.

~ Maxie

underneath the car, if you jack it up, is the bonnet release cable, phone the AA or RAC if you are a member, should be able to open it for you,
if not

jack the car on trolley jacks from the back, and push out of the garage, on the wheels of the jack, and then open the door.

Where is the best jacking point to lift the entire rear end? There is a lot of weight and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks for the help so far.
Simon :D

simon yap said:
Where is the best jacking point to lift the entire rear end? There is a lot of weight and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks for the help so far.
Simon :D

If you're just jacking under one point at the rear, you need to first remove the undertray and then put the jack under the point where the gearbox and engine meet.

However, this in normally only used to jack up the car prior to resting it on axle standards. I WOULD NOT ADVISE YOU TRYING TO MOVE/ROLL THE CAR WHEN IT IS JACKED UP LIKE THIS!!! :eek:

I believe Daz was recommending the use of two trolley jacks under each rear jacking point.

How about fixing a coat hook onto some garden hose and feeding it through the passenger side (whcih you can just open) and trying to latch on to the door pull or even the boot release :idea:

Done it!!!!

Thanks for the idea Boxsey, it made me think of a different way to approach it, lets just say I can now add breaking and entering to my CV. For those who ever need to know just pm me.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Simon

If you can actually open the passenger door, perhaps there is enough room for you to feed a small son or daughter in through the gap, who can then do the necessary?? My youngest son has been a god-send in other 'an adult won't fit' situations.

good luck

tim

Hi Tim,

The thought had crossed my mind but my 3 month old daughter may have been in there a long time.

8)

Alls well that ends well.

Simon

yes wise not to have tried at that age :wink:
the minimum age is probably 4...(years)

Last time i was locked out of a car, the AAA insert an airbag in the top corner of the door frame, which when inflated meant they could insert a wire through to prod the appropriate buttons / pull the catches. Flexing the door in this way caused no actual damage, was very quick, left no marks and made me wonder how secure any car really is from un-authorised entry...

tim

PS - how did you do it, it any case?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back