Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Missing option code stickers:minor nuisance or big discount?

If everything else checked out fine, and you're sure the car is genuine, would you buy it?

• Yes. For a minor discount I'd ignore this detail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I'd want a significant discount

• No, I'd find a different car

• Total voters

catfromouterspace

I'm a Porsche beginner. I've always wanted to drive one and I've learnt a considerable amount about them with a view to buying one.

I've just looked at what is, in my mind, a very good 911. I have all the specs. Everything checked out, except that the two white stickers - one under the bonnet and the other in the service book, the ones with the option codes - were both missing. Neither of the spaces where they go have marks on them, suggesting they were never pasted in the first place. The service book otherwise looks genuine (the printing date checks out).

I assume that there is a reasonable explanation for this, but can't really think of one. Any offers?

Even if I don't mind, I feel that, if I ever want to sell it on, the missing stickers might put a true-blooded Porsche purist off. Then again, someone who is just looking for a stunning car to drive might see this as just a minor detail.

Also please see my poll below.

Dealers don't forget to put the stickers in the service book - it has a new service book.

Is this a 996 we are talking about?

Find another car. If it's a normal 911, there should be plenty about with the sticker in place. No sticker under boot, not so unusual. No sticker in book - more unusual (unless it's a replacement book).

So Poo said:
Dealers don't forget to put the stickers in the service book - it has a new service book.

Is this a 996 we are talking about?

And a new luggage compartment cover. Run Forest, run. :shock:

Absolutely

Ask the seller why they are not there then thank him and say good bye.

Tell us who he is in case someone else comes across him.

There are enough good cars available so just wait for another to come along

Its not impossible there may be entirely innocent reasons for the under-bonnet one to go missing as they do get faded over time. The service book one is odd though.

There are so many 911s about, you have to think about resale time, and missing stickers won't make it easy, so you need a discount.

If the car really checks out (i.e. call the garages in the book to check the services against their records, and have the car inspected for accident damage etc) and you really like it, then you could explain your reservations about the missing stickers and make a cheeky offer.

Nike and Addias do them..

Running shoe's.. :roll:

Signs to be cautious
But i have had cars without the VIL under he bonnet, customer told me a scaffolding pole had damaged the front bonnet, phoned the OPC and the service manager confirmed it

Had a 993 that 2 owners before someone sat on the bonnet,
phoned the owner who confirmed it

BUT you certainly need to take out the boot carpet and look for signs of inner wing and tub floor damage/ replacement
THEN decide whether to believe them or not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back