Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whats special about the Targa?

c.afsar

Hockenheim
Apart from glass roof and cant seem to find much info...
Is the Targa also a 4wd or does it follow similar traits to the C2?

Cheers!

Before i forget, im looking at the 996's...

The 996 Targa has an opening rear window too.
Targa gives a scenic view, open/close roof at the touch of a button at any speed. More security than a cabriolet.
A true grand tourer for European trips.

The 996 Targa is rear wheel drive, the new 997 is 4wd with the option of an "S" model.

The Targa is about 75kg heavier than a C2 Coupe. It is stiffer than a cab though not as stiff as a coupe. The glass roof makes the car very light and airy. The reaction of surprise I get from people who know the 911 through the coupe or the cab when I give them a lift always heartens me. If you are tall then there is a bit of extra head room even with the blind (an electric sun screen that rolls along the underside of the glass) is closed.

The "hatchback" is useful. It allows you to put everyday items (such as umbrellas) into the car without the risk of damage.

It is a car you should try. It will not be everyones cup of tea but it is a special car. If tomorrow Porsche or a tuner announced a turbo version of the 997 Targa 4S I would break my "I will never buy a new car again" pledge and have one in a heartbeat. I would however not go for silver again The Targa is an individualistic car, it actually needs something other than silver.

SeanD said:
The 996 Targa is rear wheel drive, the new 997 is 4wd with the option of an "S" model.

The Targa is about 75kg heavier than a C2 Coupe. It is stiffer than a cab though not as stiff as a coupe. The glass roof makes the car very light and airy. The reaction of surprise I get from people who know the 911 through the coupe or the cab when I give them a lift always heartens me. If you are tall then there is a bit of extra head room even with the blind (an electric sun screen that rolls along the underside of the glass) is closed.

The "hatchback" is useful. It allows you to put everyday items (such as umbrellas) into the car without the risk of damage.

It is a car you should try. It will not be everyones cup of tea but it is a special car. If tomorrow Porsche or a tuner announced a turbo version of the 997 Targa 4S I would break my "I will never buy a new car again" pledge and have one in a heartbeat. I would however not go for silver again The Targa is an individualistic car, it actually needs something other than silver.

Agree with everything apart form the colour comment I think silver works well (on the 993 at least) as it contrasts well with the dark glass.

And in white too!

SilvClass2007017.jpg
[/img]

.... and don't worry about the rattles at low speed - they're normal, especially on bumpy roads.

If I had a 911 as a daily driver in town etc, I would love a 996 Targa TIP! I remember seeing one in Midnight blue with the chrome surrounds, stone grey interior and colour coded centre console... it looked soooo classy and perfect for a night out on the town... 8)

Targas are great! I would love a 997 Targa 4S when they've depreciated to something approaching my price range which could be a while yet.

As said above, the airy interior, which works brilliantly with the roof shut and the blind open even on a dull day or at night.

They are apparently a bit 'softer' than a coupe, but not that I ever noticed, not being a 'Ring God...

The opening hatch on the 996 Targa would be really handy too.

There's one at www.autobahn.co.uk - not seen it, but just spotted it on the site yesterday. www.northway.co.uk have one too.

I too would have loved a targa (997). My wife really likes the 993 targa.

Fairly rare, lovely car.

To clarify my comment about colours, it only applies to the 996 and 997 Targas. Lighter colours worked well as Stevos examples show on the 993. It is the very dark (near Black) front strip that IMHO looks wrong, in fact it looks slightly dated. With a Blue, Black Seal Grey, Orange, or the Bronze used in the ads it works really well. never seen one in GR or SY.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back