Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Centre Console Diagram

stats007

I fitted a new handbrake and GPS aerial so thought I'd post a couple of photos. There is a comprehensive guide for removal and refitting from B&M though some photos aren't too clear.

Anyway pretty self explanatory - the console looks like this when removed:

CentreConsoleExploded.jpg

and what it covers:

Underconsole1.jpg

the aerial was just routed to the rear of the console and is magnetic.

Underconsole2.jpg

Nice pics! I've had my centre consoles out a few times but never took any pics so thanks for this!:)

Why did you choose there for the GPS aerial when there's a GPS aerial slot in the centre of the dash underneath the alarm LED? Is it for easier cable routing?

Did you have a snapped gear change cable at some point?

That is really useful. Thanks.

Damian said:
Nice pics! I've had my centre consoles out a few times but never took any pics so thanks for this!:)

Why did you choose there for the GPS aerial when there's a GPS aerial slot in the centre of the dash underneath the alarm LED? Is it for easier cable routing?

Did you have a snapped gear change cable at some point?

I've put it there on previous cars as it appears to work well - it's also very easy to route the cable - especially if you're removing the handbrake.

The previous owner may have had a snapped cable - why do you ask?

That's fairly standard - it's to stop wear under vibration.

stats007 said:
That's fairly standard - it's to stop wear under vibration.

Interesting, never seen one before. Any particular cars it's fitted to as I haven't seen one on my old C4S or my GT3?

It's a pre-facelift 996.

Not spotted this thread before... useful pic.

I might just try to fit my centre console myself. Is the handbrake tricky? I have a carbon fibre one on back order, and may try fitting them both.

All very straightforward :)

All very easy, just take care not to damage the tip of the handbrake when moving the console back into place.......oh and try not to forget re-attaching the centre-console bin microswitch ;)

Does the centre console need to come out to fit the handbrake?

The centre console's now been painted and is ready to fit, but the handbrakes not due til end Jan, so getting a bit impatient. On the other hand, didn't want to do the whole job again when the hanbrake arrives.

If you are fitting a new console make sure it's supplied with the sound insulation pads. It's almost impossible to remove the existing ones to swap over.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back