Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 26
997 : 2004- 58
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 3
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 27
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
matt_964
Barcelona


Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 1324



PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: I WANT Reply with quote

A SUPERCHARGER Twisted

right goddam now...

just been out in a mates 'charged corrola, so so much fun..

I was only driving back thru town on the way from buying a track car for the other half, got picked on by a skyline, bmy 6 series and a rover turbo lol.

caught the bimmer off guard, rover, well. no need to say anything there, then had my ass handed to me by the skyline lol, we caught up, had a chat whilst moving, he's running high 400's - so i didn't do too bad...

just makes you want more power... but hey, i dont want a drag car Very Happy

(just a turbo would be nice !)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Rodders
Magny-Cours


Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 2594
Location: Banchory

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a charger for a VR6............alas just as a favour for a good mate so it will only be in my possesion for a few days if that Rolling Eyes ...........but I fancy one too........£5k supplied and fitted to a 993 I believe Twisted
_________________
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
matt_964
Barcelona


Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 1324



PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know of a kit for the 3.2, else, i'd probably order it!!

but then you have to think, well, gotta cost 6k minimum, i could just sell mine, add the 6k and get something else,


but i guess that isn't quite the point....

maybe i should just keep looking for a turbo engine...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Rodders
Magny-Cours


Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 2594
Location: Banchory

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonfish wrote:
i dont know of a kit for the 3.2, else, i'd probably order it!!

but then you have to think, well, gotta cost 6k minimum, i could just sell mine, add the 6k and get something else,


but i guess that isn't quite the point....

maybe i should just keep looking for a turbo engine...



you tried Vortech think they would no-doubt have an application for most Porsches
_________________
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Carl
Österreich


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 980
Location: Karting soon.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonfish wrote:
i dont know of a kit for the 3.2, else, i'd probably order it!!

but then you have to think, well, gotta cost 6k minimum, i could just sell mine, add the 6k and get something else,


but i guess that isn't quite the point....

maybe i should just keep looking for a turbo engine...



Can't you just buy a turbo and bolt it on?

Is this not possible, its what i was thinking of doing to give me more power on track days.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
matt_964
Barcelona


Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 1324



PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, its not quite that simple!

Even just as a bolt on, you'd need to change the exhaust, buy a wastegate, intercooler, intake piping etc etc, thats before yoiu need to worry about blowing up your engine Very Happy
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porsche
Donnington
Donnington


Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 12733
Location: Nürburgring Nordschleife

2003 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it looks so easy here !

http://www.turbonator.com/

and for only 39.95 !
_________________
Porsche on Youtube!

964 Project Car
996 MK2 GT3 CS Manthey
993 Targa
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
matt_964
Barcelona


Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 1324



PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye-haw! turbo power here i come!!!

lol
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
matt_964
Barcelona


Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 1324



PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact, seeing that reminds me of an old security guard i used to know, (i'm not meaning to cause any racial offence, this is true) he was an indian chap, with a black turban, and he's about 5 ft tall, yes, only five foot.

On his first day he introduced himself to the staff, and said....

"people call me the turbantor"

well, what could i say. 5ft tall, security guard, obviously a real schwarzenegger lookylike :shock:
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Carl
Österreich


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 980
Location: Karting soon.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundeep wrote:
but it looks so easy here !

http://www.turbonator.com/

and for only 39.95 !


Has anyone tried this? Sounds good, but does it do what it says on the tin. Confused
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Seagull
Estoril


Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 3657



PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you could make one out of an old baked bean can - why not give it a go
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
matt_964
Barcelona


Joined: 24 May 2007
Posts: 1324



PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you could use one of those new funky LED flashy led computer fan thingies, for that extra 0.2bhp Laughing
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Carl
Österreich


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 980
Location: Karting soon.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagull wrote:
Looks like you could make one out of an old baked bean can - why not give it a go






Come on be serious!









What about a spaghetti tin. Cool
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Wattie
Zolder


Joined: 05 Nov 2006
Posts: 5668



PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working at Ford Motorsport when we first started experimenting with turbo Escorts... First attempt was to bolt a monstrous great truck turbo onto a 1.6 CVH Escort engine - to see what happened. Ari Vatenen's face was a picture after the first trial - what seemed like about 400bhp all came in with a thump at about 2000 rpm apparently, span the wheels in 5th, and did ***** all else! Completely undriveable Laughing

Back to the drawing board, then came the RS Turbo (horrible car with no brakes) and the rest is history as they say

A long way of saying - you can't just bolt a turbo on and leave the rest alone! Have to lower your compression ratio for starters, so thats new con-rods at least, not to mention wastegates, electronics, sensors, etc...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Richard J Lewis
Newbie


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 11
Location: oxfordshire


PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: turbo charging. Reply with quote

If its any interest to you, I am in the process of turboing my 3.2 carrera. I have been heavily into vauxhalls for a number of years, I have owned and built some pretty quick ones my favourite being this one:



with this:



I bought my carrera 3.2 on impulse, didn't even give it the once over, just did the classic no no and fell in love with it. Please don't take this as a criticism but after playing for years with vauxhalls, there are many websites with alot of knowledge related to tuning, what will net you the best gains for little money etc etc. Yet in regards to the porche world, it seems very closed, I can find anywhere buy a decent 3.3 turbo engine/3.6 turbo, anywhere that does have one wants very silly money for them. As such, I'm in the process of turbocharging my 3.2 lump. Its VERY easy with anyone with some intelligence to modify the intermediate pipe to house the turbo charger, oil feed is pretty simple (next to the gauge sender) and return (to one of the oil cooler lines) I'm using a huge charge cooler (mounted where the back seats used to be) Autronic SM4 management with has launch control, GT35 R, run a seperate header tank and pump to water cool the turbo (behind the front bumper) The main expense are the barrels and pistons (not yet purchased) and the management. I hoping to build and map it for somewhere in the 6k region, which is what someone wanted me to pay for an 80,000 mile 3.3 turbo lump. I know alot of people will consider this sacrilage, (hey, its a 3.2 carrera with 965 body panels, 997 turbo 2's no interior trim and left to right hand drive converted), but the main point being its possible, and can make far more power, and more reliable than the ageing porche 3.3/3.6 turbo motor using the KKK series turbos and old motronic! (my autronic has launch control and traction control built in as standard, in theory I should be able to grace the rev limiter and sidestep the clutch and just go!) I have had absolutely no porsche specific input other than people saying... ohh that will never work! Its will, if you are reaosnably mechanically minded and you know the right places to look for things, you can do it you self, DIY turbo the car. Mines not finsihed yet (I'm in the process of grafting my new 965 rear 1/4s on,) but I will post some pictures of my progress soon.

cheers

Rich
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Rodders
Magny-Cours


Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 2594
Location: Banchory

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as they say everything is possible


what your finding with regard to "silly" prices for 930 lumps is down to supply and demand,you've got to remember that compared to the Vauxhall lumps your used to that the 930 lump is a scarcer engine to source second hand and if you think people are asking silly prices for them,try asking those people at Stuttgart for a price
_________________
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Carl
Österreich


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 980
Location: Karting soon.


PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo charging. Reply with quote

Richard J Lewis wrote:
If its any interest to you, I am in the process of turboing my 3.2 carrera. I have been heavily into vauxhalls for a number of years, I have owned and built some pretty quick ones my favourite being this one:



with this:



I bought my carrera 3.2 on impulse, didn't even give it the once over, just did the classic no no and fell in love with it. Please don't take this as a criticism but after playing for years with vauxhalls, there are many websites with alot of knowledge related to tuning, what will net you the best gains for little money etc etc. Yet in regards to the porche world, it seems very closed, I can find anywhere buy a decent 3.3 turbo engine/3.6 turbo, anywhere that does have one wants very silly money for them. As such, I'm in the process of turbocharging my 3.2 lump. Its VERY easy with anyone with some intelligence to modify the intermediate pipe to house the turbo charger, oil feed is pretty simple (next to the gauge sender) and return (to one of the oil cooler lines) I'm using a huge charge cooler (mounted where the back seats used to be) Autronic SM4 management with has launch control, GT35 R, run a seperate header tank and pump to water cool the turbo (behind the front bumper) The main expense are the barrels and pistons (not yet purchased) and the management. I hoping to build and map it for somewhere in the 6k region, which is what someone wanted me to pay for an 80,000 mile 3.3 turbo lump. I know alot of people will consider this sacrilage, (hey, its a 3.2 carrera with 965 body panels, 997 turbo 2's no interior trim and left to right hand drive converted), but the main point being its possible, and can make far more power, and more reliable than the ageing porche 3.3/3.6 turbo motor using the KKK series turbos and old motronic! (my autronic has launch control and traction control built in as standard, in theory I should be able to grace the rev limiter and sidestep the clutch and just go!) I have had absolutely no porsche specific input other than people saying... ohh that will never work! Its will, if you are reaosnably mechanically minded and you know the right places to look for things, you can do it you self, DIY turbo the car. Mines not finsihed yet (I'm in the process of grafting my new 965 rear 1/4s on,) but I will post some pictures of my progress soon.

cheers

Rich




Good luck Rich, please do keep us updated.
I am not that good with engines so to get my speed i'll keep saving for my GT3 (hopefully next summer).
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum