Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying advice 997

Chris W

Sebring
Hi all - you're advice please.

Friend is looking to get a used 997 as a second car (not daily driver), ideally would like a cab but doesn't want to spend silly money, getting rid of his '05 plate Range Rover Sport 4.8 non-supercharged with 22k mls.

This is a 2-part question:

-he's been offered a good price for his car by an OPC, his RRS is well specc'd but NA petrol is not the most sought after. Would you recommend part-ex with an OPC? He doesn't really want to have the hassle of selling privately.

-come resale time what are the must-have options on the 997? Is the S more desirable etc. Any no-no's? Probably looking at late '04 onwards low miles.

The money isn't the problem but just getting good value, and making a common sense decision. The OPC has offered cashback on the p/x and a balloon finance deal - if he has the cash anyway which is the more astute way to buy?

All views welcome, thanks in advance.

Apparently about 80% of 997s sold have been and S. So yes, definately more desirable.

Not sure about the other bits - but don't use OPC finance - use Jamie. Lots cheaper.

Chris, would beat the finance for sure.

If he wants to have a chat about must have's give him my number will be happy to chat through the thought process having consulted a lot of people on the subject myself.

Jamie said:
Chris, would beat the finance for sure.

If he wants to have a chat about must have's give him my number will be happy to chat through the thought process having consulted a lot of people on the subject myself.

Thanks Jamie - have already mentioned your good self to him and recommended the guy at Nottingham OPC (cant remember his name). Your personal view Jamie - if its straight between the two, use free cash or work the finance? I appreciate theres always many factors that make finance a no-brainer.

Also what sort of rate of depreciation are you expecting on the '7? I've suggested he can expect upto £1k per month or am I being unfair?

It was certainly £1k/month on the 996 for the first 2 years. It then dropped to about £500/month for the next 2 years.

Seagull said:
It was certainly £1k/month on the 996 for the first 2 years. It then dropped to about £500/month for the next 2 years.

What about now for the 996?

Are we expecting it to depreciate much more?

JayK

IMO, it will. In the same way that the 993 started dropping when the 996 came out. The 986/996 marked the first forray into volume car production for Porsche and supply of second hand ones is hugh. So unlike the earlier cars, by the time the buyer of a 2 year old car is ready to change up, a new level of buyer will be able to put himself in a Porsche. If I had to guess, a 996 will behave like a Jag in its depreciation profile i.e. like a logarithmic recession which would indicate that the rate of depreciation will slow.

Chris W said:
Friend is looking to get a used 997 as a second car (not daily driver),

why not - surely this is a mistake :eek: :eek:

Hey Seagull

So when do you think the wisest time to buy a 996 would be then?

I am in no major rush and can wait a bit if it will be worth it, but obviously not toooooooo long

Cheers

Just do it now - you never know when the no. 13 bus is coming

Dill said:
Just do it now - you never know when the no. 13 bus is coming

Very True. I am just waiting until my next Insurance renewal is up, and I will then (touchwood) have another years NCB making it 4.

Then hopefully from there I will never look back !! :p :p :p :p

JayK said:
Hey Seagull

I am in no major rush and can wait a bit if it will be worth it, but obviously not toooooooo long

Cheers

Historically, the best time to buy (cheapest) is winter and the best time to sell (dearest) is late spring. So, a couple of months time will be a good time to be looking.

Seagull said:
JayK said:
Hey Seagull

Cheers

Historically, the best time to buy (cheapest) is winter and the best time to sell (dearest) is late spring. So, a couple of months time will be a good time to be looking.

Cheers. Watch this space then, hopefully it will be filled with something nice by then :)

mark pearce said:
http://www.911ukforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14277

dare to be different??

I actually really do like the 997's. However, I am going to go for a 996 first. Reason being it will be my first 911 and also my budget ont stretch that far

Even if money wasnt an object, I'd prob still get a 996 first, then change for the newer model, coz that way if there are any significant improvements, I'll be able to feel them more then

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back