Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sports Seats Electrical Problem

Michael Taverner

Spa-Francorchamps
I have the hard back sports seats. On the passengers side both electrical adjustments work fine. On the drivers side neither of the adjustments work.

I have checked and swapped fuses, all OK. Have partly taken the seat out and checked that there is power to to main connector plug under the seat. This is OK. As I find it difficult to believe that both switches or both motors have ceased to work at the same time, I am trying to find an alternative reason.

The switch is in two parts and at £46 each and I do not want to waste money if that is not the problem althogh my local OPC said the switches do sometimes fail.

Has anyone had this problem and can offer guidance as to what the problm might be.

Michael

I had a problem with my drivers seat not adjusting up at the back, I didn't know if I had a problem lowering at the back as it was fully down. I replaced the motor to find that it was a faulty switch. As you say it is hard to believe that both switches have gone at the same time, are the seats adjusted fully in one direction or in the middle?
The motors are quite hard to find so I'd try replacing the switches first of all, or if you had a voltmeter you could test the switch works. Only problem is you have to take the seat out to get at the wiring to disconnect it, might be worth getting the parts and taking them back if not needed?
If you do change the motors you don't have to remove the jacks at each corner or interconnects, with a little jiggery pokery they can be moved and replaced in situ.
Apart from the main 8 pin connector I also recall a 2 pin connector located nearer the handbrake side, not sure what that did though. Could be part of the standard loom for the heater but worth checking?

Many thanks for your reply. Looks like I will have to take the seat right out of the car so that I can turn it over and get to the wiring. Without cutting the cable ties there is not enough cable to get the switch completely out of the seat and make a proper test.
I have a multi meter so then I can try to do some continuity tests to see if I can eliminate either the switches or the motors.

By the way the other two pin plug under the seat is for the seat belt warning light.

Michael

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back