Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clunk from rear end!

Wattie

Zandvoort
I seem to have acquired a clunk from the rear of my C4 and, as I don't have a garage (or anywhere clean and dry to have a good look underneath), can anyone tell me if there is a common issue that it's likely to be?

Doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on handling, not audible at higher speeds - just low speed bumps. Have checked tailpipes and they are very firmly attached :?

Are anti-roll bar bushes prone to failure? Or shocks? MOT passed 2,000 miles ago with no advisory items.

Failing that it's a trip to the local Indy I guess - more time and money lost!

First thought was a broken exhaust bracket - that sort of noise, but as I say, no significant movement apparent in tailpipes.

The other similar noise I have had in previous car ownership was a broken spring leaf on my Mk2 Cortina!!! :lol: Hope it's not that again... :shock:

I thought that, but surprised it doesn't seem to have affected handling? May be just a worn bush or something...

Will have a quick look tomorrow if it stops raining long enough.

Does that ever happen on modern cars?

Surely I would feel that though? I don't exactly hang about - especially when I choose the B-roads like today :D

Is it more of a rattly clunk over speed humps, potholes etc that you can hear with the window open?

If so, I've been advised that a similar noise on mine is the handbrake mechanism needing adustment.

Robertb said:
Is it more of a rattly clunk over speed humps, potholes etc that you can hear with the window open?

If so, I've been advised that a similar noise on mine is the handbrake mechanism needing adustment.

It does sound a bit like that... I've had a quick look underneath (couldn't see much without a ramp), and anti-roll bar is in one piece and seems attached OK, ride height the same both sides (so that would rule out a broken spring).

I'll see if it gets any worse today!

More of a squeak than a clunk but the lower control arms are known point of failure on the 996 :? .

David M said:
More of a squeak than a clunk but the lower control arms are known point of failure on the 996 :? .

Hi David, can you elaborate on this? I'm not aware of them being a point of failure, although many add Motorsport control rods to minimise deflection and movements in geo.

dont call me stupid but just have a quick lookie at the spare wheel compartment just to see if anything is floating around in there? it had me going for ages especially going over speed humps. :oops:

call me stupid if you want! :p

When you looked at the sway bar, did you carefully check the bushings? It may be worth taking out the 4 bolts that hold the sway bar brackets and making sure the rubber bushings are not worn or partially missing. Very simple, don't even need to jack up the car.

rich mortimer said:
dont call me stupid but just have a quick lookie at the spare wheel compartment just to see if anything is floating around in there? it had me going for ages especially going over speed humps. :oops:

If the spare wheel is in the back of your car, immediately take it back to the dealer, it's wrong. :D

wdonovan said:
rich mortimer said:

If the spare wheel is in the back of your car, immediately take it back to the dealer, it's wrong. :D

No spare wheel there, but on looking I do appear to have a spare engine :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back