Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The art of driving a 911

kahostheory

Trainee
After spending years of driving front wheel drive cars and latterly BMWs with traction control, stability control and other electronic driver "aids", I have recently taken the plunge with a C2.

Awesome grip, steering feel and balance, but as my confidence builds and what with the recent wet weather the inevitable will happen and I will exceed the car's and more likely my limits......

I know I could have gone for a C4/PSM but I do enjoy being in control and not just driving until a light flashes on the dash.

Has anyone done one of the performance driving /car handling courses such as John Lyon, Cadence, Don Palmer or the like recently?

Would welcome any feedback/recommendations

Thanks
Karl

try a trackday, a safe one, like bedford GT, best way to learn IMHO...

I'd definitely recommend driver training rather than just a track-day on your own although that is a great way to practice what you've learned. You need to let someone show you how to get the best out of a 911, one on one, for at least a day.

I've done courses with John Lyon (High Performance Course) and Steve Smith (I think he works under the Total Control banner now), both great teachers.

They both teach fast driving in a 'road' context, i.e. use of speed where appropriate, and also track sessions to let you feel how the car behaves on and near the limit. You'll also learn lots of other stuff, like road positioning, overtaking etc.

I've also heard very good things about Bernard Aubry, who used to do driver training for Porsche Cars Great Britain, and I'm inclined to give him a go next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back