Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie - looking for advice on new 911 Turbo

4rotor

Hi all,

Just found your website, and having a good look through.

I know a little about Porches but not a lot admittedly!

What should I know about the new models that Porsche themselves won't tell me? Any problems with the car? (I had an E60 M5 - with no end of problems recently)

Would you advise Manual or Tiptronic? i.e. how good is the Tiptronic? does it shift when you want it to shift - or is it still a lazy automatic? (as mentioned with the E60 M5 - I liked the SMG gearbox, but it was also its downfall). It will be used in city traffic a lot, but again I don't mind if it is manual. Is there a reason why the tiptronic is quicker on acceleration?

I have a child, so will be looking for a seat (read that only a few different seats fit - is that right?). Can I have the passengers airbag disabled? factory option?

Can I use an MP3 player?

If I'm going to spend GBP100K - is the 911 Turbo the only way to go? As far as I can tell a GT3 doesn't have back seats. I also really like the idea of the turbo.

What are the best seats to go with in the car? Sport? etc?

When will they be replacing the 997?

Can you chip the turbo engines? recommended? or silly?

Thanks for taking the time to read - appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Glenn

A new 997 Turbo - that is a nice position to be in!

Right - well Sports seats are a must IMO and I would go tiptronic too. It is quicker because the torque converter can handle the power better than the clutch. Worth considering the the PDK (Porsche dual clutch) will come out soon, some say as early as September and this will be a better semi-auto gearbox than the tip. Personally I like the tip and would suit the Turbo and they may well be more desireable in the future.

Passenger side is disabled by an add on if it is the same as the 996.

No major problems with the 997TT that I know of. 997 will be replaced in 3-4 years with the 998.

Keep asking the questions!

The 996 Turbo's could be mapped really well. Big gains available - but not sure about the 997. You could call Revo and find out.

There are fewer issues with the Turbo engine than the standard cars.

You can mod them very easily (chips give remarkable results). As said above, try Revo, but also DMS.

Tip is faster than the manual, and is a conventional torque converter auto so has none of the shunt etc of the SMG.

There quite a few child seats that fit the back, and you can have a gadget fitted by the dealer which disables the passenger airbag.

There was an article about fitting MP3 players to Porsches in Total 911 magazine quite recently- you can buy a back issue online.

Good hunting, and I'm really not jealous at all!

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to 911uk!

With a £100k budget, and if you have kids/daily commuting in mind, the 997TT will tick the boxes quite nicely. Whether it is manual or Tiptronic is really personal preference, and there have been no reported problems/downsides with the Tip on the 997TT to date.

Personally, I think the Tiptronic suits the character of the TT perfectly - especially if used as a dual purpose car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum 4rotor.! I can't give any advice on Turbos or 997's except to say that there is another member on here who previously had an E60 M5 and sold it for a 996 Turbo because he wanted more economy!! Well that was one of the reasons at least!

For town driving, might be better to have a Tip though SoPoo recommends waiting for the dual clutch thingamajig.

Well done on your selection, remember to post up the pics when you get the car!

~ Maxie

Welcome! Tip seems to be the choice of 997 Turbo. Why don't you check out magazine: Total911 and backorder the copy with the write up on the car?? Most of us lot subscribe to the mag.

Good luck.

4rotor said:
If I'm going to spend GBP100K - is the 911 Turbo the only way to go? As far as I can tell a GT3 doesn't have back seats. I also really like the idea of the turbo.

As your 1st experience of the 911, have you considered the previous model 996 Turbo S, in circa the £75+k bracket, of course the 997 TT is much more but it would give you a nice taste of 911 world

but for cars with a 2+2 seat arrangement there isnt much in the same performance league of a 911 TT

Hi all!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Thought I may as well go for a near to new car - the wait for a new one is too long!

Got it :)

Haven't driven it much yet, but safe to say it is awesome. Went for a tiptronic in the end.

porsche-01.jpg

porsche-02.jpg

V nice!

Cool pic too...

Did you go for manual or tip in the end?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back