Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Differential Problems

Max Bowler

Spa-Francorchamps
Help!!! I noticed last week on reversing out of my drive that on full lock as I was turning in the road that there was a fairly heavy knocking from the rear end. I also think that I had to give it a few extra revs at the same time as they seemed to die down slightly. On driving the car all seems normal under accel, decel and cornering, however on reversing and turning the same thing happens. Took my pride and joy to the local dealership to be told the gearbox needs replacing! I pointed out that there was nothing wrong with to be told that the differential is integral with it. Can I please get some advise, I'm sure I have read threads from people who have had theirs reconditioned and/or upgraded to a quaife item.

Max

ps my love spuds are under threat after I told my wife the price for a new gearbox.

The GT3 rear diff will make a loud graunching noise on full lock going either forwards or backwards at slow speed (eg, parking). This is a normal characteristic of a normal GT3 rear diff that is working correctly. You will probably find that you can very easily stall the engine when reversing the car on full lock: this is because of the additional resistance the diff provides.

If a GT3 does not make a graunching noise on full lock, then one of either 2 things has happened:

1) the diff is shagged and the friction plates need replacing

2) the diff has been changed out for an alternative diff which is silent in operation (eg, mine is silent as it is a Plasma nitride motorsport diff)

On the normal GT3 rear diff, you generally have to provide more revs on full lock to counter the locking action the diff provides that will otherwise cause the engine to stall when insufficient engine revs are given.

Butzi said:
ouch!

how about taking it to a reputable indie for a second opinion?

Mick, Max is in bleedin Saudi Arabia...how many reputable indies do you think there are out there?? :lol:

I must admit though I do find that at very low speeds going both forwards & backwards it is very noisy a makes funny noises. At these speeds it really doesn't like to not be under power & can kangaroo if you are not careful or even stall. I thought that was normal. :?

Sorry Mick but Rob's right, no indies over here, reputable or otherwise, to be honest the main dealers aren't that reputable. I haven't found any other problems, it seems to work fine accelerating hard out of corners, so there is no way I'm even contemplating a gearbox change. Has anyone fitted a quaife item? About $1700 from the states, sadly plasma nitriding isn't an option over here. Maybe it's something I have just noticed for the first time, and now I'm panicking. Anyone got any suggestions for checking it in stu?

Max

Max,

As per my reply above, your diff sounds normal.

If you want, you can lift the rear of the car off the ground, and try hand turning one of the rear wheels. If the other rotates, then the diff is working.

No idea about changing the diff to a Quaife diff, but they are a completely different mechanical design and I have no idea how it would affect the GT3 in operation.

Ah, never know if the "location" was real or not!

Max if the diff noise is normal, why bother doing anything about it? esp when you ddn't know there's a noise until now?

PolarExpress said:
The GT3 rear diff will make a loud graunching noise on full lock going either forwards or backwards at slow speed (eg, parking). This is a normal characteristic of a normal GT3 rear diff that is working correctly. You will probably find that you can very easily stall the engine when reversing the car on full lock: this is because of the additional resistance the diff provides.

Cheers - one less thing for me to worry about to.

Depending on use, it's not uncommon for a normal diff to be worn after 10-12 trackdays or so...

YMMV

presumably if the diff plate's worn, you just get a less than perfect on limit handling, or do you do any other damage/bad effect?

So Poo said:
PolarExpress said:

Chris do you know all the other "quirks" of a GT3 yet, or shall we just let you find out, when you come back & ask silly questions...and we have a laugh at your expense :lol:

Butzi said:
presumably if the diff plate's worn, you just get a less than perfect on limit handling, or do you do any other damage/bad effect?

No damage - it's just that the plates are worn, and your car may start weaving more under power. But weaving under power (in a straight line) is not a good thing when you've got 400hp going through 1 instead of 2 wheels. I found this out when I was on the M25 last year and booted it in 2nd gear to find the power going to only one wheel that resulted in an interesting shimmy into the next lane :shock:

So Poo said:

:shock: Chill Chris :lol: I thought I explained that when you came up for the test drive :lol:

Seriously, if there's anything you're not sure of, call me anytime :)

P

pmjt said:
So Poo said:

:shock: Chill Chris :lol: I thought I explained that when you came up for the test drive :lol:

P

I did remember that one from our chat - problem is that I was too excited to take anything in at the time. Went out and fitted the harness to the passenger side last night - just for practise and gave her a bit of a clean, was out in the garage for 2 hours!

So Poo said:
pmjt said:
So Poo said:

P
Went out and fitted the harness to the passenger side last night - just for practise and gave her a bit of a clean, was out in the garage for 2 hours!

Chris, wrong side unless you are staying the passenger seat and Kate's driving :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back