Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Driving in Europe - what do I need?

wagonface

Barcelona
Am off to Biarritz in a few weeks time. Not having done a European trip since Uni (booze cruise to Calais in my Corsa), I was wondering if people could advise what I should do beforehand and what I should take with me. So far I have:

Breakdown cover (Porsche warranty)
Tell my Insurance where I'm going
Check oil/water
SatNav
Garlic
Beret

Any top tips?

don't forget surly attitude, half finished cigarette dangling from lip and cold coffee. Did i mention the attitude?

seriously i think you need spare bulbs and emergency triangle. Make sure lights are set for left hand driving if you're staying any length of time (i.e. after dark. Although i wouldn't recommend this unless you have some silver bullets and a large cross)

You will have to adjust headlights for driving on the right, should tell you in the owners manual how to do that.

Spare bulbs as if you have a blown bulb headlight the French cops will fine you if you dont have spares to replace. BUT they cant do you if you dont have spares and your lights are ok. weird one that rule.
High visibility jacket, triangle, spare tyre.

One question I have about Euro driving, if your numberplate isnt one of the Euro type with GB on, what have people done used as a GB sticker magnet on their cars. DOnt want to use a sticker, worried the magnetic one will ruin paint.

I forgot crap dress sense as well.

Regarding changing lights over - I recall a thread in the old forum (sigh) which explained how to adjust some lever thing on the lamps. This involved removing a panel here, a screw there, a widget here, and generally seemed like a right pain in the ass. I will buy those stupid sticker things - I'm only there for 1 week and evenings will be spent in the bar, not on the road.

wagonface said:
I forgot crap dress sense as well.

Regarding changing lights over - I recall a thread in the old forum (sigh) which explained how to adjust some lever thing on the lamps. This involved removing a panel here, a screw there, a widget here, and generally seemed like a right pain in the ass. I will buy those stupid sticker things - I'm only there for 1 week and evenings will be spent in the bar, not on the road.

no its easy, remove both full units, swop sides, replace.

Dead easy :shock:

Went over last week & did nothing.......

....just ignored the speed limits....

Aren't you supposed to have one of those fluro H&S stylee jackets in France so the truckers have got something to aim at when you break down?

Are the 997 lights easy to switch over?

It's not my car so I've not got the manual to look at and have just realised from this thread, that I'll need to advise the owner about our impending trip.

3mm of tyre tread in the min in Europe too. For some countries you should have a fire extinguisher too, but France in not one of them.

So Poo said:
3mm of tyre tread in the min in Europe too. For some countries you should have a fire extinguisher too, but France is not one of them.

is there a better definition of irony? not needing a fire extinguisher in Paris? hmmm.

If you have one, leave your radar detector at home- if ze french gendarmes spot it, you'll get a hefty cash-only fine (and your car will be impounded until you pay up), plus your radar detector will be destroyed in front of you.

Also...if you "ave been goin verhy faast on ze toll rod" pull off and take a stop between tolls.. they can time you and if you arrive too quickly at the next one... its "ah...Bonjour... zat will be 200 fronc sil vous plait....!!" happened to my mate on his Bike....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back