Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch

Steve Wright

Spa-Francorchamps
How long does a clutch normally last on a 4S.

That depends on whether you are a traffic light drag racer or not. You should get between 20 and 30,000 miles out of one with normal spirited driving.

Any idea on costs for a clutch. I spoke to Porsche last week they said lets have a look at it this week, they cant say if it is warranty or not yet.

Steve Wright said:
Any idea on costs for a clutch. I spoke to Porsche last week they said lets have a look at it this week, they cant say if it is warranty or not yet.

Warranty? For a clutch???

I've heard of one being burnt out on a brand new TT just getting it onto a transporter!

If you heel and toe your down-changes it will last a lot longer - like double!

Steve Wright said:
How long does a clutch normally last on a 4S.

Until your first RMS issue :)

In all seriousness, my 996 C4S had one replaced at 22k with the RMS, I had her from 7k onwards so no idea of it's life beforehand.

At 22k it was getting a little stiff but still plenty of life (in my eyes) my OPC said is was worn ie. plenty of life left.

Typically you should be able to get approaching 50k out of them provided it's not had an inner city life, a few traffic light incidents etc

Steve Wright said:

It's about £1,100 on a 996 so I guess it'd be the same on a 997

is it not an engine out job on the 4's tho?or is it just the 993 C4's that need the engine out??

Rodders said:
is it not an engine out job on the 4's tho?or is it just the 993 C4's that need the engine out??

Nope only GT3 and TT 997 (GT3, GT2 and TT on 996) involve dropping the motor. Wet sump engined cars just drop the gearbox out.

MG

Rodders said:

Nope only GT3 and TT 997 (GT3, GT2 and TT on 996) involve dropping the motor. Wet sump engined cars just drop the gearbox out.

MG

you don`t need to drop the engine out on 996tt ,gt2 or gt3 to do the clutch i have done them without dropping the whole lot out .easy when you know how :lol:

My clutch was changed last month when I swapped over to the lightweight flywheel (you need to change the clutch for a 'sports' clutch when making the flywheel change). After 42k miles, my clutch was only half worn and still had plenty of life left in it.

I probably heel'n'toe 90% of the time when driving the '3 when on road, and 100% of the time when on track.

showing myself as really ignorant now... someone care to explain all this heal toe malarky?

Marvelous, I don't feel like such a numpty now for not knowing.

When it stops raining will go and practice.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back