Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dodgy white 930 warning.

Manks

Trainee
If anyone gets offered a low mileage white 930 in London W9, please PM me before going to see it. I might be able to save you a lot of time and potentially a great deal of money.

Manks

Give us a link Manks, pm me it if your a bit worried.
Be nice to know the scammers.

The car is no longer advertised, but if I see it again I will let you know.

I worked out that the seller was dodgy, and today I spoke to someone else who had seen the car and he too worked out that there was someting not right.

The car is very low miles, which I am guessing is because it has been garaged for a few years to "keep it out of the way".

There is a load of background I have on this but its not ideal to post it in the open.

Manks

Now you can understand why it took me nearly four years to find a good one .

SEE YA

No that was because you were a fussy sod who only wanted one interior and exterior colour and two years :lol:

Nice one :lol: two year search no nearly four plus in black the 911 looks great you must admit .

SEE YA

Oh yes, the 930 is a properly beautiful motor. BUT for a number of reasons I am wondering whether now is a better time to buy a 993 and just wait until a decent 930 comes up.

You could be right funny, I nearly bought another type of 911 a week before I got this one . That would have been sods law had I got it then got a call about this one afterwards.I would have been very disappointed .

SEE YA

One hell of a difference between a 930 and a 993 and thats before one starts looking at the turbo variant.

You may as well buy an early 996 if you're looking for a between car; they're relatively cheap and will cost less than a really good 993.

Topcat

Please expand on your comments.

Manks

PS I hate the look of the 996

The 993 is, not surprisingly given the time that has pased by, a far more developed car than the 930 (or the 3.2 SSE which is a fairer comparison). Ignore the differences between the early 930's, and the last which are significant enough, the 993 is (even with my limited knowledge) a totally different driving experience. Yes you've still got the odd driving position (RHD) and a familiar cockpit, but it is as far removed from the 930 as the 930 is from the original 911's.
The combination of the different chassis set up and technology combined with a reputation for a solid build quality makes the 993 stand up well against even today's production performance cars.

Combine this with its comparable rarity and one can see why prices are particularly bouyant at the moment.

And this brings me to my point. 993 prices are particularly bouyant boosted by what some may describe as particulalry speculative pricing during the spring market.

So if you wanted a fill in car whilst searching for the one of your dreams, I suggest that an ealry 996, where values seem to be on a slippery slope might be the place to look. This of course assumes that a reduction of 20% of a little is just that. I'd accept that a 993 may continue to hold its value, so also hedging against depreciation but am of the view that with prices so high, it might be worth considering and valuing the alternatives.

And, if you wanted to prep a car for track use, then leggy 3.2's, 964's and early 996's might make a good donor. But if you didn't want the hassle of all that work then the 968, especially in CS form, seems to win a lot of accolades (for £11K - £13K).

Does that make sense? (and really well off piste ....)

Oh and I don't think the 996 front end wins any awards either but like the 996turbo and the GT3, and anything else really, there comes a point in their market price when they become more affordable which makes buyers start valuing the performance, brand and image more than the shortcomings in build quality and design. Just my view.

Topcat

Intelligent and reasoned argument.

I too am unsure to what degree the price of the 993s is speculative. They certainly are a hot ticket at present. Will that continue?

What I perceive that the 993 has going for it is that its still a very pretty car. It still has the proper 911 roof line and OK front end it also has a nice arse as a 911 should. In short it looks nice and goes well.

The 996 loses the nice roof line in favour of a, presumably more aerodynamic, ski slope. The front end is a mess. So they may go OK but they are ugly and a 911 is something one buys with the heart - it would be like loving Ugly Betty.

The 997 is better than the 996 but its not stunning. I suggest it owes its success to its newness.

I would guess that the 993 will hold its price. I suppose that may change one day if a post 997 car is absolutely stunning and becomes "the one to have". But at the present it seems that people think of the 993 as pretty, a "real 911" and a very usable car.

Manks

Manks said:
I too am unsure to what degree the price of the 993s is speculative. They certainly are a hot ticket at present. Will that continue?

There are 993 cars on the market that IMHO are simply not worth the asking price; they are there because the market is bouyant and the value of the truly rare cars is high. Will it continue? Same as anyting else I suppose, it is a function of supply and demand. There are however cars that are desirable but severely overpriced and these remain on offer.

Manks said:
What I perceive that the 993 has going for it is that its still a very pretty car. It still has the proper 911 roof line and OK front end it also has a nice arse as a 911 should. In short it looks nice and goes well.
No one is going to argue with that but even the most recent are close to ten years old and there will come a time when only the lightly used cars will retain their value (if that is the criteria we are discussing)

Manks said:
The 996 loses the nice roof line in favour of a, presumably more aerodynamic, ski slope. The front end is a mess. So they may go OK but they are ugly and a 911 is something one buys with the heart - it would be like loving Ugly Betty.
Even an Ugly Betty has positive attributes. 996 is a more practical every day car and in the right colour looks good. The early ones are also now cheaper than a lot of 993's. This will have appeal to people more focused on performance than the image.

Manks said:
The 997 is better than the 996 but its not stunning. I suggest it owes its success to its newness.
We won't agree on that but it is certainly an understandable point of view. Personally I think the 997 is brilliant. Looks more compact than the 996, despite its size and the detailing and finish seems high. Technically it seems brilliant to and I'd have one in a moment if money was no object. What I am amazed by (and as I'm not focused on having a track day orientated car) is how the spirit of the orignial Porsches is embodied in the 997. Drive to the track in your modern GT, push the Sport button and you have a race car set up. Makes me wish I could drive properly ....

Topcat

I agree that the 997 is RETURNING to Porsche 911s roots, but it still has that unimaginative roofline. The roofline on the pre-996 911s was to die for. On the 996 and after its a much shallower slope and the uglier for it.

Image per se is not what I am about, but I like pretty things and the 996 is not pretty. It looks like the bastard child of a Jaguar XK coupe and a fishing boat.

Manks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back