Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty argument - advice please

wagonface

Barcelona
My alarm beeps twice after unlocking, and the locking mechanisms click a few times.

OPC Chiswick just called to tell me the "Door lock module" needs replacing.

But... it is NOT covered under warranty, as its a "consumable" item that is "used every day".

How can I argue this? I hope Chiswick aren't fibbing (dont see why they would), but I have had so many bad experiences with them that I dont trust them as far as I can throw them.

Anyone know if I can get this verified by Porsche?

Updated: I just found the text from an email from OPC Chiswick detailing the warranty. This is the relevant paragraph:
"The horn, all electric motors, all pumps, all switches (functional defects only) and electronic control units for the following systems: windscreen wipers, headlights, central lcoking, electric windows, spoiler, cruise control, sunroof, alarm, on board computer, engine immobilizer, roof are covered "

I'm sure someone had a parts list of warranty items. I'm sure they will be along in a minute.
Sounds a bit fishy to me though.

Wagonface I have Pm'ed you :)

Another PM sent too.

~ Maxie

if it's a 'consumable' when in the service shedule are you supposed to replace it?

Good luck!

Don't keep us in suspense wagonface...!

~ Maxie :)

my service rep at chiswick is actually being quite nice to me on the phone and has told me he wants to argue the case with the workshop first, and then with porsche warranty people. He asked me to send him the email I got before purchasing the warranty, so he can use that (see my original post). He is due to call back - will let you know.

Overnight I realised something that adds to this debacle: the window regulator was replaced by another OPC when it broke (its not covered...) c.3mths ago. Since then the seals around the window have started whistling at high speed, and the window catches on the cabrio roof top when opening and closing the door - i.e. its not adjusted perfectly (its okay, but not perfect). AND, the alarm only plays up after its been raining...

anyone else making a connection here between seals not being replaced perfectly, and rain getting into the door lock module? Cos I am.

But I may be being paranoid.

I want Chiswick to check if the module is wet (without charging me £100 labour to do so). If it is wet, imagine the confusion about who is liable for what... My head hurts already. :cry:

wagonface said:
My alarm beeps twice after unlocking, and the locking mechanisms click a few times.

OPC Chiswick just called to tell me the "Door lock module" needs replacing.

Updated: I just found the text from an email from OPC Chiswick detailing the warranty. This is the relevant paragraph:
"The horn, all electric motors, all pumps, all switches (functional defects only) and electronic control units for the following systems: windscreen wipers, headlights, central lcoking, electric windows, spoiler, cruise control, sunroof, alarm, on board computer, engine immobilizer, roof are covered "

According to this, the OPC needs to get their chequebook out.

Update:

OPC Chiswick's final offer is 10% off the pre-VAT cost (£285). Their warranty claims person refuses to budge.

So I just called Porsche customer services in Reading. They now have all the details, including the wording of the email I was sent. Am waiting for them to get back to me.

If I hadnt got that email, then I would prob take it on the chin and accept it (albeit very annoyed). Its the wording of the email that is making me fight. (and the £300 bill!) Anyone a lawyer? to me its clear that the wording should mean I am covered.

I have never had to argue with Solihull about warranty stuff - my opinion of them is rapidly increasing.

The wording of the warranty seems clear - if the component is not functioning, then it is covered.

This case seems slightly clouded by the possibility that the original OPC cocked the work up - in which case they should correct it. From my experience parts and labour on VW repairs is covered for 2 years

Having bought a 3.4 996 with Porsche Approved Warranty for peace of mind, I am actually wondering whether it is worth the siginficant sum of money to renew, and I should save my money and just use a good independant for servicing.

I am very interested to hear how this turns out.

This is really quite absurd. I appreciate age of the car etc will all be part of the debate but why should wear and tear criteria apply to an electronic component. It does not wear, it fails ... and if thats during the term of the warranty there should be no debate.

I think it is of real concern that a premium marque such as Porsche fall short of the standards of delivery we have experienced with BMW, MB and even Seat

damianc4s said:
So Poo said:
I have never had to argue with Solihull about warranty stuff - my opinion of them is rapidly increasing.

If you can talk to Les then yes :)

Well they passed my car's 111 point inspection with flying colours today - so I am well happy with them!

Bill Smith said:
The wording of the warranty seems clear - if the component is not functioning, then it is covered.

This case seems slightly clouded by the possibility that the original OPC cocked the work up - in which case they should correct it. From my experience parts and labour on VW repairs is covered for 2 years

Having bought a 3.4 996 with Porsche Approved Warranty for peace of mind, I am actually wondering whether it is worth the siginficant sum of money to renew, and I should save my money and just use a good independant for servicing.

I am very interested to hear how this turns out.

The main reason that Wagonface is having difficulty is that the required part is not on the approved warranty item list which the dealer has to work from I had a similar issue myself and it ended up with it going to thirds. OPC contributing a third, Porsche GB paying a third and myself with the balance. However the OPC made a mistake in the calculation, (I had a major service done at the same time) and they actually replaced the part for me and gave me an additional £40 odd pounds back.

The warranty in my mind is there not so much for the niggly electrical problems like these, although one does expect them to be honoured, but for the major failures - engine, gearbox etc.

It does seem that different OPC's have different attitudes to warranty claims. Mid Sussex have been reasonable in my experience but I have heard horror stories from certain West London and Surrey ones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back