Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Track day Mods

Boxsey

Mugello
Now that I've got the track day bug I'm already thinking of how I can make this wonderful car even better for the track. :)

My car is pretty much standard (except for a sports steering wheel) and I've already got a few ideas of what to do. But rather than say anything yet, I'll ask the open question of 'what would you guys do first'?

Boxsey said:
Now that I've got the track day bug I'm already thinking

My car is pretty much standard (except for a sports steering wheel) ?

oops! Forget to say that it has already been lowered (but has standard dampers).

I suspect the changes are similar for most normal road-going 911s...

1. Geo (critical)
2. brake pads and brake fluid (SRF) (really makes a difference)
3. tyres (great to improve grip limits)
4. 4/6 point harnesses (improve contact point, reduce body movement, reduce arm fatigue)
5. cup steering wheel (improve tactility and touch point with car, reduced arm movement)
6. suspension and ARB upgrade
7. lastly, power

and a lot of driver training!

First sort out the suspension. New shocks for a start, geo, good tyres, loose weight, brakes, and lots of trackdays and instructions.

If money's no object, -ish, then get a 964RS!

Yep, I did mine in this order:

Suspension (Bilstein/H+R)
CG-Lock (device to lock the seatbelt - bargain)
Tyres (Toyo R888)
RS flywheel/clutch (had engine out anyway)
Brakes (big reds)
Next week, a full days track instruction from Sean Edwards (FIA GT2 driver)

As a next step, I'm now looking for an RS, otherwise it would be:
Weight reduction (esp. seats)
And lastly, power upgrades (how much do you wanna spend!)

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Just what I was looking for. Regarding what you both mentioned:

Geo - I had this done a couple of weeks before Bedford. The handling improved significantly and my instructor at Bedford commented on how well set up the car felt.

Tyres - Running Conti sport contact 2s. Performed very well in the wet at Bedford but I guess would not be so good on a dry/hot track.

Shocks - rears are new and fronts are in good shape. Both are standard Boge units. But I agree that a firmer and possibly adjustable setup is something I should look into.

Brakes - discs, pads and fluid were all new for Bedford and performed very well but I agree I may find them wanting when I start pushing the car/myself as I get more used to it.

Harness - I guess this would be best combined with lighter race style seats. Recaro pole positions seem to be a popular choice. I might have to have a day out on Demon Tweeks :wink:

964RS! It will be interesting if I get to go down that route in the future trying to decide between that or a GT3 :twisted:

Training - Have had instructors on last 2 trackdays and will continue to do so at future days. No substitute for improving one's own ability 8)

Might be worth trying some kind of driver training like CarLimit or Don Palmer etc to get the basics right, and also get to know the theory at least so you know what you're aiming for on trackdays.

Butzi said:
Might be worth trying some kind of driver training like CarLimit or Don Palmer etc to get the basics right, and also get to know the theory at least so you know what you're aiming for on trackdays.

Yes, the instructor at Bedford said the same to me and my brother. He suggested that we would be able to learn more about the limits by driving a track car rather than our own P&Js. He specifically mentioned Caterhams but I don't know whether using those would be a good or bad thing?

Caterhams provide one of the most undiluted driving experiences. They allow you to really feel a car at the limit, learn the effect of steering/throttle inputs, and develop quick responses when the car goes sideways.

They are absolutely wonderful track cars to have fun in... although comfort is not the priority! (says he who struggles with his lard arse to get in/out of one! :oops: )

Ian Reynolds said:
Yep, I did mine in this order:

Suspension (Bilstein/H+R)
CG-Lock (device to lock the seatbelt - bargain)
Tyres (Toyo R888)
RS flywheel/clutch (had engine out anyway)
Brakes (big reds)
Next week, a full days track instruction from Sean Edwards (FIA GT2 driver)

As a next step, I'm now looking for an RS, otherwise it would be:
Weight reduction (esp. seats)
And lastly, power upgrades (how much do you wanna spend!)

Keep us informed about the day with Sean. I've heard good things. Which is not surprising considering the quality he showed last year.

I'm aiming to keep the suspension as it is this year and look to change come the winter. This way I get to experience the car as it is and see what a difference major changes make. Also helps the cash flow of course! :wink:

For the suspension change I'm tempted by the more expensive PSS9 option. Does anyone know if it really does live up to the claims that it is liveable for road use on the softer settings and more track focussed on the firmer settings?

In order of cost

1. CG-Lock
2. Uprated brake fluid, Castrol SRF or any Dot 5.1
3. Geo
4. Uprated cooling for the brakes
5. Front Strut Brace

Done

Forgot that I've got a strut brace as well.

If you're going to track it a lot, it may well be worth looking at alternative suspension to the Bilstein HD/H+R. I'd be tempted by the JIC-Cross setup, which a lot of Rennlisters in the States seem to prefer over PSS9s. It's also fully adjustable, and easier to adjust than PSS9s. I priced it up from Pelican Parts, and it comes in at just under £2K including shipping and taxes, which I think is about the same as PSS9s.

I'm llooking forward to the day with Sean (Brands GP on Monday), and will let you know how it went.

Ian Reynolds said:
I'm llooking forward to the day with Sean (Brands GP on Monday), and will let you know how it went.

I've seen a few comments on PH about how the day went. Tell us, if you can, what makes the likes of Sean able to pass both 996 & 997 GT3s in a 964C2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back