Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 wheel nuts/bolts & caps

eki912

Trainee
Took my wheels out , to get refurbished....back to original shine and glory. Some really badly visible curbrash , on all 4 wheels. PO did that....

The bolts , some are badly corroded.Really visible.Especially the antitheft ones.

Should I just clean them ? Paint them ? Or simply buy a set of new ones ?

I thought they are chromed metal , but when I had them in my hand they look more like somekind of painted alloy. Which then again shouldnt rust....which means they are steel ?Painted then ?I think I even saw an ad by some company , the whole set for 99$.

And the (plastic ! ) centercaps... they look faded.Especially the colored emblems.Now that the wheels will be as good as new , the not so bright or missing paint from centercap emblems will look bad.... the emblems are they available separately anywhere?Good ones.... or should I try enamel paint , and refurbish those myself ? I did the painting on my previous 944 , and it came out just fine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142457

Bit of a patchy post eki912.

With your rusty bolts, you could try spraying them with WD40 (or whatever the US equivalent is) and see if it gets rid of the rust. I am sure there are some other solutions out there where if you immersed them overnight would take off all of the corrosion. $99 for a set equates to £50 here. Is that for a set of 20 or 16? It seems quite a lot to pay for standard bolts. Anti-theft ones should be in the region of £20- £30 for a set of 4.

With your centercaps, why not settle for some plain ones? A quick eBay search should throw some up. Otherwise if you are as competant as you say you were with your 944 caps, then do the job yourself and save the $$.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142466

I bought some plastic chrome effect caps off ebay for £9 for 20 - they cover my tarnished zinc alloy (?) bolts (zinc doesnt rust but does get tarnished). As someone else on here very wisely advised me - put some grease on the inside of them before putting them on and this will create a vacuum that will keep the caps in place. They dont cover the locking nut.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142485

Put some Krust on them, they'll turn black but at least they won't rust any more.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142547

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back