Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Buying advice

kieranb

Evening gents

Looking to buy a 911, never had one before looking for some advice

Looking at a 2001 911 3.4, digitec gt3 kit, silver with black leather

What should I look out for? Common faults, etc

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137490

well it looks like you have already made up your mind on a 996.

not my favourate 911 as way too many drivers aids which for me completly deaden the driving experience.

for the same money you could do better IMHO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137492

my personal favorate would be a 3.6 964, or a 930 ...awesome

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137497

digi-tec, they do bodykits, i am based in dubai at the moment, some of the firms who do this stuff i have never heard of in the uk, think they are locally based here and in the gulf

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137499

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by helen Goff on 30 April 2007

well it looks like you have already made up your mind on a 996.

not my favourate 911 as way too many drivers aids which for me completly deaden the driving experience.

for the same money you could do better IMHO
It doesn't have to be like that. I sourced my motor as basic as possible. It has power steering, ABS and ??? thats it!!!

even with PSM you have to REALLY push it, for it to be involved.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137501

I have to agree with Flatsix. Mine is a 1999 C2. It has the sports chassis, 18 wheels, NO traction control or PSM etc. Its the nearest to a GT3 without having one (I will one day!).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137506

I had the same problem deciding what model i wanted...i've had my 993 carrera4 cab for 3 years now and don't regret a thing...its what floats your boat and what you want to use it for (daily driver-track car-touring etc) so decide when and what your gonna use it for...i realy wanted a C4s and ended up with a cabriolet, again not everyones cup of tea, but with the roof down on a summers day, the sound of a 3.6 behind you, and a car as good looking as a 993 and as Helen said not as many driver aids as a 996, its a car you gotta drive, and i defy any porsche lover to dispute that...That said the 996 is in my opinion, a superb car too, so is the 964, and the boxter and infact so are all porsche's, so follow your heart and get what you fancy, they 're all great. For me the 993 is the best and i will always love the last of the air-cooled, its got to be the way to go for your first porsche if your budget allows. As for common faults, just read some of the threads on hear, they;re mechanical, and things break, but on the whole they have got bullet proof engines, galvanised body's, and if its been well looked after, with a FSH, the residuals are good...i'm looking to get a 997 soon but wouldn't be supprised if i end up with another 993 in the future...

If your buying privately its a good idea to get a Pre purchase inspection first...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137508

Dal - hear hear! I completely agree with you; Kieranb - just follow your heart and buy what you want to buy. All due respect to Helen though as she lives and breathes Porsches - most probably more than many of us do on here - and I daresay if I did what Helen does on a day to day basis, I would have probably got a 993 C2.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137674

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxie Islam on 01 May 2007

Dal - hear hear! I completely agree with you; Kieranb - just follow your heart and buy what you want to buy. All due respect to Helen though as she lives and breathes Porsches - most probably more than many of us do on here - and I daresay if I did what Helen does on a day to day basis, I would have probably got a 993 C2.

~ Maxie

adore the 993 (last of the air cooled) but i feel at this moment in time (in the uk) they are at their peak price wise. so there isn't going to be one in my collection for a while yet.

996 ...i would only consider a Gt3/Gt2 or a turbo (possably a C4s if price is right) as i think the wider rear make the car look much better.

porsche lent me this (in 2005) for a week-end at Brandshatch, i wasn't that impressed with it, ok for the daily commute to work but it wasn't FUN to drive.

helen_at_Brandshatch_2004--large-msg-1114614681-2.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137716

just for the record. Porsche lent me a 997s a couple of weeks ago and i was impressed with that. although i could have lived without some of the gadgets and cupholders.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137720

Have moved this into Buying Advice

Check all the stickers are in the right places Keiran and check service history obviously. If it comes with a warranty then even better - that gives lots of security.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137731

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back