Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Rear Wipers

Paul Billett

Looking to buy a 997 C2S in very near future.

Still considering to buy used on new but there's one (probably irrational) thing that I can't make my mind up on - whether or not to buy/order a car with a rear wiper.

I'm struggling to comprehend myself why a buying decision is coming down to £250 worth of kit on £70k car!

Car will be used day to day in all weathers - views sought for those who own cars with or without wipers. Has anyone bought a 997 and wishes it had a rear wiper, anyone bought with wiper and believe it spoils the lines and does anyone believe it is a necessity?

My current 996 has wiper which gets used but never owned one without....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135580

completely different car and situation but 4-5 months after I bought my 964 the rear wiper broke. 4 months after that i realised i hadn't fixed it and hadn't missed it so i removed it. Now wouldn't put it back if you payed me I think it looks so good!

Mines a daily drive too and although it is sometimes a pain when you get into it on dewey mornings it never bothers me in actual rain

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135590

I have rear wipe on my 996 and the same on a loan 997. As their kept outside, i do value these. When you move off, because the top of the motor is so 'flat' it holds a lot of water which does need clearing away. Plus once she's warmed up and its peeing down in slow moving traffic when the time comes to boot it, its a good idea to be able to spy any plod!

IMHO, of course :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135595

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! They look bloody awful ! IMHO, of course :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135615

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! Useful in the way Flatsix describes. However, when you're pressing along the M-way in the rain, the rear window cleans itself and no need for it. Imo, they don't spoil the looks, but then I am biased of course. Besides, you admit to using your rear wiper on the 996 - try not using it the next few times it rains and see if it makes a difference to you.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135616

Mine has a wiper and I hardly use it, never really thought if it looks good or bad. Will have to look at one without a wiper now you have pointed it out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135623

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxie Islam on 24 April 2007

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! Useful in the way Flatsix describes. However, when you're pressing along the M-way in the rain, the rear window cleans itself and no need for it. Imo, they don't spoil the looks, but then I am biased of course. Besides, you admit to using your rear wiper on the 996 - try not using it the next few times it rains and see if it makes a difference to you.

~ Maxie

Trouble is we seem to be experiencing a drought in the South East and its only April! 8)
Not that I'm complaining about the good weather!

I suspect it is probably a case of if you have it you use it, if you don't you won't miss it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135630

Rear Wipers - NO WAY! Having one is almost as bad as having parking sensors....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135639

Rear wiper - NO NEED.

Hasn't bothered me.

To be honest really don't like the look. I am also getting on fine without auto dimming mirrors which people told me was a must. Parking sensors - yes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135642

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fingers on 24 April 2007

Rear Wipers - NO WAY! Having one is almost as bad as having parking sensors....
Oi ! Nothing wrong with parking sensors ! Very useful for us over 40's !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135653

I've never used the rear wiper, but that may be different if I did more urban driving where the rush of air doesn't keep the screen clear.

Not missed the lack of parking sensors either, in fact its surprising how few of the gadgets on my BMW I've missed.

Oddly, I'm rather enjoying a return to 'back to basics' driving!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135713

Parking sensors on the pre-face lift 996 models - yuchhhhhhhh....!

Parking sensors on the post-face lift - well cool!!

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135744

Rear wiper spoils the look if you ask me. Parking sensors very useful, just remember that not all cars have them when driving something other than your 997!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142020

I drove a 997S for the first time today - I must confess that I didn't notice whether it had a rear wiper or not - I was too busy appreciating the power, smoothness over my current 993 and the feeling that it was just willing me to get one!

My 993 Targa has a rear wiper as did my previous 1988 3.2 Carrera.

They are occasionaly useful - like the front wipers and the radio/cd and the fog lights.

So I'm keeping mine and the fog lights and the radio/CD.

Get a life.

Get the car.

Buy a cross channel ferry ticket.

Then drive it as it should be driven.

Rear wiper anguish - are you kidding?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142037

It's been hammering down with rain for three days & I haven't missed not having a rear wiper once....... Spoils the car, IMO of course.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142269

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back