Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 speaker upgrade Part 1.

Carrera4S

Banned
Ok guys, don't shoot me down but I've got the speakers that I had in my C4S 'hanging' around in the garage, so what should I do with them?

Poon, look away now!

The original, crappy unit, no tweeter. This just isn't good enough!

IMG_6154.JPG

The tweeter to mount, might require some minor cutting to the original speaker housing ie. make a hole!

IMG_6152.JPG

The lovely MB Quart 4" unit, mounts perfectly inside the existing aperture...ok will require a ring of Dynamat Extreme to bulk it out slightly.

IMG_6153.JPG

The whole lot! The separate ring you see is the mounting ring for the MB Quart, this makes it very easy to secure it to the hole. A simple twist and the speaker come off.

IMG_6151.JPG

I'll do the front over the next few weeks, the trouble is I'm without the stereo, Saffron forgot to tell the stereo know the battery would be disconnected and it's gone into PROTECT, my local OPC couldn't sort it and have sent it to Reading for fixing....Sundeep how's the new Becker going? What connectors does it have on it's rear?

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133511

you should think yourself lucky, my RS only has two front speakers and no tweeters, bass is a no go area!

but then I have got the engine, diff, LWF :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133530

Get in there D, pimp that 3 !!

My 3, it's would be fibre optics if it had more than 2 speakers, so just normal connectors at the back and the fibre optic port is blocked off. Although I do want to see what's behind the side speaker panel in the rear (appartently they saved 500gramms !!)

err... can I have a tweeter as well ! btw what size are those pics

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133531

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 17 April 2007
Get in there D, pimp that 3 !!
My 3, it's would be fibre optics if it had more than 2 speakers, so just normal connectors at the back and the fibre optic port is blocked off. Although I do want to see what's behind the side speaker panel in the rear (appartently they saved 500gramms !!)

err... can I have a tweeter as well ! btw what size are those pics

There's no fibre-optic on the Comfort either, just simply 4 pairs of twisted-pair (balanced?) wires going to each of the 4 speaker pods.

Sundeep, a Torx T-20 is your friend, put it in the head of the screw and twist, you'll see what behind the panel. I bet it's blank with a little holder securing the rear speaker cables.

The pics are 1024x768...too big? I've got bigger ones :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133535

Pics 640x480 is better

but more importantly what size are the speakers ? what are your views on replacing the speakers behind the grill with a better after market set, can they escape or are they locked in

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133549

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 17 April 2007
Pics 640x480 is better
but more importantly what size are the speakers ? what are your views on replacing the speakers behind the grill with a better after market set, can they escape or are they locked in

The speakers are 10cm units.

The speakers are secured, I'm using epoxy resin to hold the rings in place, this just 'cracks' away when you need to return them to OEM spec. Much better sound quality, or should I say bass depth, useful when doing that bloody long trip to the 'Ring/Spa etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133554

i fancy upgrading the fronts and putting something in the back, I suppose mine is the same as yours SD?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133560

Ok guys, I'll take lots of pictures and give you an idea of what needs to be done.

I'm not going to go crazy, I'll use the power of the headunit rather than amps galore...but I might prep it just in case.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133598

Damian,

Mechanical things are more my forte, electrics not

so a numpty guide please!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133602

Damian, when you've done your 3 do you fancy having a look at my 993?

I've got a lovely set of Boston Acoustics knocking about, but no talent in the electrics dept :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133669

I only have 2 'dash speakers in my '3'... Let me know how they sound Damian, will be carrying out the same thing soon myself..

I have grills in the rear but nothing in them :(
. (will the wiring be there??)

Have also thought about upgrading the CD22 to a CD23, worth it ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133672

Damian - I would love to upgrade the speakers in my C2, so am looking fwd to your instructions on how to do so!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133696

Like Poon I am partial to the diff, lwf and engine noise but on longer 'touring' journeys found the sound system (if you can call front speakers only that) was complete and utter mince.

For a quick and easy improvement, I added std rear 996 speakers simply by removing the cover/blanks, plugging them in and screwing them in. I now have an original Porsche set up without any real modifications. The wiring looms are all there just the speakers are omitted. Must save ***** all in weight.

Sound is now much more full, as you would expect, and although it's not fit for an audiophile it does for playing the ipod through the std. stereo at a reasonable sound quality.

Sourced from a Porsche breakers this cost about £30 all in and involves no non Porsche parts (i'm a bit of a purist).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133720

I'm having a pair of Infiniti Kappas installed as we speak...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133824

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 18 April 2007

I'm having a pair of Infiniti Kappas installed as we speak...
Let me know what there like Ade.. Are you having the dash one's only ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133827

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back