Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Importing from USA

Simon W

Barcelona
Hello all,

Do any of you have any idea what sort of (ballpark) costs are involved in importing a car from USA? If, for example, I bought a car for the equiv of £35,000 and wanted to bring it into this country, what sort of shipping costs and import duty am I likely to have to endure?

Having looked on US sites at Porsches for sale, given the exchange rate at the moment, it looks like there are some astonishingly good value cars on offer.

Cheers,

Simon.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133043

I noticed that too when I was searching for my Targa. $45k for a US 2003 MY car vs £40k for a UK 2003 MY car...... :(
Don't know what shipping costs would be though.....can't be cheap.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133065

I reckon the shipping costs wouldn't be crippling. I imagine the VAT on the import is what would make it financially non viable.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133068

17.5% VAT plus 10% import Tax, then you have to SVA the car, and do all the work associated with passing the SVA test first. Such as switching lights, rewiring fog light etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133072

So that would come to US$ 89,250 + cost of SVA + Cost of buying & fitting RHD headlamps + Re-wiring. Should be less than $95,000 all in. Still looking good/reasonable, Simon?

~ Maxie

PS. What car is it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133074

Not so keen anymore. Thanks Dave.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133114

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave Maguire on 16 April 2007

17.5% VAT plus 10% import Tax, then you have to SVA the car, and do all the work associated with passing the SVA test first. Such as switching lights, rewiring fog light etc
then a week peeling off all the Health and Safety stickers !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133125

You could always order a new car in the USA. Get factory delivery and not bother taking it back to the factory : ) Get a brand new car for about USD 80,000.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133218

how do they do all these Californian imports.... someone must make some £££

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133232

Container shipment and pickup from location and delivery to Southampton costs maximum $2000. I've done it with Corvettes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133363

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Marcus Quigley on 17 April 2007

Container shipment and pickup from location and delivery to Southampton costs maximum $2000. I've done it with Corvettes.
I have heard those figures too. A family friend does it with boats.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133366

Don't forget also US & local state taxes.. I looked at this to buy Fabspeed mufflers directly and it's a close call. Maybe now with exchange rate <2:1 might be better.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135030

Got to be worth a look. htere are some amazinb 993 turbos going cheap cheap cheap. Maybe just save for my permanant move to the US.

Are there any exemptions if you are a US citizen living abroad I wonder. Which by fate of birth, I am.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135034

Still LHD and US spec though. Don't Californian 993s suffer reduced performance for emissions regulations.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135039

Could you not bring it over as your own car? Sure you would avoid the VAT then?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135040

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back