Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoke after hard lefts - advice pls!

F1_Dragon

Mexico City
Hi guys, had a strange problem yesterday which i hope somebody may be able to shed some light on....

going down the A406, I took a sharp tight left hander little slip road quite quickly to join on to the A1. The A1 was empty so i floored it. My route in orange. Where the orange line ends, there was an interuption in power as if i had hit the rev limiter, but i was nowhere near the rev limiter. in my rear view mirror was a huge, i kid you not huge cloud of white smoke, F1 engine blow up levels of white smoke which did not clear for about 30 secs. There were no warnign lights and no more smoke despite some hard driving afterward. (not the tight left hander again though)

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/route.jpg

This happened last month at a similar tight left hander (but not the exact same corner) followed by a long straight of long acceleration. I booked it in to Porsche straight after but they could not find any problems.

Have called them and they are having a think, i will prob end up booking it in again for further investigation. Would like to get it sorted as my first Ring trip is in Aug and am aware that the Carousels are tight left handers!

any thoughts/ideas appreciated....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132937

Over filled with oil......... ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133133

Just read the text....... sorry that would'nt explain it I don't think.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133135

Your Limted Slip Diff could be playing up thus causing tyre smoke

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133153

Time for an Indie's opinion! OPCs don't know how to diagnose if the fault doesn't appear on the ECU... :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133154

Thanks guys.

def not tyre smoke, i am talking about a huge cloud of white smoke. :(

strange.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133376

Not oil (would not cause engine cutout). Not tires (same reason). Sounds like ignition is cutting out but fuel is still being fed to cylinder(s). FWIW I had a 600 HP Chevy pickup truck that cut out on either left turns. Problem got better and worse for a year. During that time I did a bunch of tests to no avail. I had fuel pressure gauges taped to the windshield, auxillary fuel tanks in the bed, etc, etc, and found nothing. After 1 year I had a friend with a garage flatbed it to his place, he found no occurance of the cutout, took 50 HP out to tame it. The problem didn't reappear for a year, then worse then ever. I put a digital storage scope on different ignition connections and found an intermittent short on the negative side of the ignition coil. It was an OEM tach wire (auto trans, no tach) that was apparently waving back and forth somewhere under the dashboard. It touched something metal on left turns and shut the ignition. Never opened the dash to confirm but I know it was the cause. Just disconnected the wire at the coil and the problem never came back for 10 years. So...... I vote ignition short or break. The smoke is from unburned fuel being pumped through the engine and blown out the back. Least that how I see it. Diagnose the same way. Scope or similar across negative coil to ground. This will tell if the spark is being cut out. You could do the same test across the fuel injectors but I think they're working if you see smoke.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133494

Welcome to the site wdonovan.

Sounds like you know a bit about cars! :D
And that is the best idea anyone has come up with for the smoke.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133503

Thanks for the welcome, So. Your car looks a lot like mine. '02 C4 Cabrio, Lapis blue, dark blue top (hood?), grey interior. Only thing different I can see from the smallish pictures of yours is the headlight shape. They look more like USA Boxster lights than 911? Unless they just changed in a year change.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133534

wow, very knowledgble. welcome and many thanks wdonovan!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133968

one question, if it was an ignition cut-out and fuel was getting through, would the smoke not be pretty instant, i.e. whilst i was still in the corner that caused the short/break instead of a bit later?

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134028

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by wdonovan on 17 April 2007

Thanks for the welcome, So. Your car looks a lot like mine. '02 C4 Cabrio, Lapis blue, dark blue top (hood?), grey interior. Only thing different I can see from the smallish pictures of yours is the headlight shape. They look more like USA Boxster lights than 911? Unless they just changed in a year change.
Yep mine is a pre-facelift 3.4ltr car so has the old-style headlamps (2001 car). Light different to the boxster in that the indicators are clear. But a very similar part. And yes, I have a blue hood. Great car - toured around europe in it last year.

Sorry about the hijack F1.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/hijacked.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134048

Haran

My brother had the exact same problem in a Boxster S a couple of years ago - will call him tomorrow and find out what it was.

PS Where is the name Haran from?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134049

Chrs Fingers will be very interetsed to hear what he has to say. The name is Sri Lankan.

No worries SP!

Also, I posed the question to Jonas on the JZM webiste and he indictaed he thought it was an oil overfill...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134098

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back