Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just installed SMARTTOP on my 996

Jay T

Oh yeah ... cab roof and windows closing (one touch operation) as I pull into my drive. Also have a garage opener in the car. If only I didn't have to get out to unbolt the bloody puppy proofed gates, it would be perfect.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132778

I considered getting one last year - so you are pleased with it then?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132823

Expensive ? Would be nice.........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132825

Scott - your 2003 should be able to put the top down on the move anyway. The one touch would eb useful though. They are £160 I think.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132855

Yep I can put my roof up or down up to 30mph, which I do find useful, one touch woud be even better. £160 fitted or does this require my technical expertise (which is non existent) ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132857

Haven't given it a proper run out yet, but works great so far:

Features:

One touch opening and closing of the cab roof

Roof can be opened and closed whilst driving (as per facelift 996)

Operation of the rear windows with the cab roof open.

Paid 199 Euros as part of a Renlist bulk buy. Was 249 Euros at the time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132863

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 15 April 2007

Yep I can put my roof up or down up to 30mph, which I do find useful, one touch woud be even better. £160 fitted or does this require my technical expertise (which is non existent) ?
Tech expertise really not an issue. Mechanical numpty here managed the install in about 30 mins. No major problems.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132865

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 15 April 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 15 April 2007

Tech expertise really not an issue. Mechanical numpty here managed the install in about 30 mins. No major problems.
When I say non existent, I really mean that - wouldn't even have a clue how to get the existing button off let alone play around with wiring :(

Still a 30 minute job ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133148

No titing around with dash buttons required, and no tricky wiring to deal with.

I would think that each stage of the installation is doable by virtually anyone. If I can do it ... etc etc

You open your roof slightly; detach the back of the cab roof from its ball and socket fixings; pull the back of the cab roof forward to expose the rear carpet. Hardest thing was actually pulling back the carpet under the back of the cab roof to expose the control box. You unscrew the control box; unplug a cable from it; plug the module into the socket; and plug the cable into the module. A velcro strap is then used to ensure the cable and module stay in place. Screw the control box back on, lay your carpet, reattach the cab roof and your away.

What do you think? Instructions that come with the unit are pretty comprehensive.

Even if you still don't fancy it, I'm sure you can find someone around here who could spare you a few minutes. I'd do it for you if you found yourself in the West Country.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133176

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 15 April 2007
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 15 April 2007Yep I can put my roof up or down up to 30mph, which I do find useful, one touch woud be even better. £160 fitted or does this require my technical expertise (which is non existent) ?
Tech expertise really not an issue. Mechanical numpty here managed the install in about 30 mins. No major problems.[/i:KQmQrMuCo2]
This is Scott, you know, he can't even paint a fence!! Lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133180

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 16 April 2007

You open your roof slightly; detach the back of the cab roof from its ball and socket fixings;
I got as far as this and thought... no way can Scott do that!

Scott you have to prove us wrong. Get it for Bedford... that could an alternative to strippers (as it's a family do) will keep is amused all night! :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133227

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 16 April 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 16 April 2007

You open your roof slightly; detach the back of the cab roof from its ball and socket fixings;
I got as far as this and thought... no way can Scott do that!

Scott you have to prove us wrong. Get it for Bedford... that could an alternative to strippers (as it's a family do) will keep is amused all night! :twisted:
Mmm, but the risk of permanently damaging the car.........it does sound too complicated for me at the moment........ :(

The detaching the cab roof bit scared me :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133259

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 17 April 2007

Thats the easy bit Scott, you'll manage that, but putting it back on might be your problem.....still a few vodkas in the pub & I'm sure you'll manage it!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133264

You'd be ok Scott. It really isn't too tricky to detach the roof.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133273

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 17 April 2007

Easy mate, though you do need girl arms to reach the little wire fixings ... I guess this might be a problem for you with all your recent "working out" :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133274

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back