Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gear Cable Failure

London997S

Trainee
Hi, just joined this forum to find out about an issue and warn others. I have a Jan 05 997S and in my trip to germany my gear cable snapped. this this the cable that connects the gear stick to your gear box. This meant I was left in the gear that I was engaged before it snapped. Luckily I was in third and managed to drive back to london (400 miles). I have done about 20 K on my car and most of which has been motorway driving, so not too many gear changes.

By the way this is something that does not get checked in the first service so if happens after 2 year, then no warranty coverage.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Thanks,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132095

Are you talking about the cable ends that connect to the gear lever?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132101

The metal cables (about 1.5 meters) that connect the gear lever to the gear box. They have ball joints at end which connects to the gear lever. Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132103

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by London997S on 12 April 2007The metal cables (about 1.5 meters) that connect the gear lever to the gear box. They have ball joints at end which connects to the gear lever. Hope this helps.
That's exactly what I mean. I've had one go on me, well it popped off the ball leaving me to choose 3rd and 4th only. I've got two spare ones that I have to hand. Rennlist in the US have many instances of this happening. So many that Evoms (a tuner) decided to make a replacement:

Evossk.jpg

Damian
%7B51315F95-4BB7-4C6D-8A39-9A3DF56B5FCA%7D.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132105

Thanks that's very intresting. I have the cable at home and I was shocked how thin it was ans that it just snapped off. The balls were in place and did not pop off.... tonight I read the extended warranty Document and it does not seem to cover this so even if I had Porsche warranty it seems I'd still needed to pay for this..... I'll try to take a photo of this and post a picture for everyone to see... Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132216

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back