Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie Questions

Richard Higgins

Hi,

I purchased a 2001 c2 cab (pre-facelift) a few weeks ago and have a few questions that I hope someone can help with:

1. After each run I get a smell of burning rubber from the engine bay - is this normal?

2. Is the car designed to run on super unleaded? will normal unleaded damage the engine?

3. Can someone recommend an effective product to clean the wheels they are sport design wheels and I have noticed that some products should not be used on split -rims - any advice?

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131585

hi- congrats on your purchse.... 1. smell is most likely mixture of warm rubber from tyres , hot engine and clutch - perfectly normal. 2. normal unleaded is fine. 3. i have the same split rims and use maguires wheel cleaner purchased from ebay which i find is amazing. enjoy richard.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131594

Welcome to the forum Richard - I too am new here having been here only a few weeks. Congrats on your purchase, I hope you are enjoying every minute in your new car as I am in mine!

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131612

Super unleaded is better and although a few pennies more you get more mpg so it does work out better by the odd %

Burning rubber ? are you sure or burnt excess oil ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131643

Is that synthetic rubber or natural rubber?

Either way - drive it hard to who ever you bought it off and look them in the eyes and say.....

What the heck is that rubber smell?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131651

I too have a 2001 cab - Welcome to the club! 8)

It is quite possiblyt the brakes you are smelling, especially if you are driving hard - but this would be from the front too.

I would run on Super-unleaded, as you get better mpg and performance and it is better for the engine. For a few extra p (or about £50 a year) hardly worth it in a £30K car.

Enjoy the summer!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131714

Try to use superunleaded- it will allow the engine to develop full power (it is designed to run on 98 octane) and super contains all sorts of additives which clean and protect the engine. However, it will of course run on 95 without any harm if you can't get hold of super.

Dunno about the burning smell- it could be some wax, oil or some other fluid burning off. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see smoke!

Wheels- Meguiars is very good, Zymol is also excellent (but pricey). What I would do is use something like Wonder Wheels once, get them really clean, then they will be easier to keep looking good with something milder. The spray-on wheel coats are good too, which act as a "sacrificial barrier" between washes.

Enjoy the car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131721

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 11 April 2007

Try to use superunleaded- it will allow the engine to develop full power (it is designed to run on 98 octane) and super contains all sorts of additives which clean and protect the engine. However, it will of course run on 95 without any harm if you can't get hold of super.

Dunno about the burning smell- it could be some wax, oil or some other fluid burning off. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see smoke!

Wheels- Meguiars is very good, Zymol is also excellent (but pricey). What I would do is use something like Wonder Wheels once, get them really clean, then they will be easier to keep looking good with something milder. The spray-on wheel coats are good too, which act as a "sacrificial barrier" between washes.

Enjoy the car!

Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner - the pink stuff in Halfords - is mint for wheels - I would actually say better than Wonder Wheels (and I used to think that was fantastic) and easier to use.

Only problem with it is, one bottle will only do about 12-16 wheels (at best), which means that you get about 3-4 washes for your £8.

Not bad if you only wash it once a month, but I do both cars most weeks, which works out a bit pricey!!

Enjoy your car buddy, and if you haven't already, post some pics 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131725

You can dilute Meguiars, if your wheels are not too dirty or you can remove most of the brake dust before hand it still works.

As it says on a bottle of Ribena....dilute to taste :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131728

Hi All,

Thanks for your time in providing feedback to my earlier queries.

I also have some queries regarding the option decoder I am not able to find (kindel.com) decodes for the following: Can anyone help out?

Thanks

030 - Sport Group??

xkw

xkx

xlf

xny

xrl

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131884

030 - Sport Type Running GEar

XKW/X - Arctic SIlver Dash Surround

xlf - Sports Exhaust

xny - trim strip arctic silver

xrl - 18" Sport Design WHeels

Not sure what the other bits are.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131890

I have all the options codes if you want them. Just PM me your email address.

Cheers,

Chris

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131891

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back