Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's Wrong With Green?

Simon W

Barcelona
As some of you will no doubt be aware, I'm trying to get back into 911 ownership and have been oohing and ahhing between 993 C2S and 996. I've noticed a car around for quite a few weeks (maybe even months) that looks really good. I've spoken with the dealer and checked out the history and all seems to be well. But the car is green. I expect many of you will have seen it advertised - it's on all the sites including this one - but just in case, here's a photo of it. Forest Green with Tan leather. Personally I like the colour combo. There's something quintisentially British about it. But I have been seriously warned off green by people whose Porsche opinion I seriously respect. Can anyone offer their opinion on green cars. Why is it such a loathed colour on a Porsche? I mean I can almost understand not being too keen on the Wimbledon Green colour they used to do, but this reeks of British Racing to me.... Your thoughts?

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/media(10).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130377

think its more to do with the interior colour than the paint,my Corrado storm is green with beige leather and its grown on me more,as it looks quite a nice contrast but I wasn't that much of a fan of the colour combo when I first bought it

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130379

I've been told the same thing about green Porsches when I was doing a search for my Targa. I saw a Forest Green one too back in January this year and its still up for sale on the Autotrader website...... It's also selling for a few thousand less than similar Targas of the same spec and vintage, I suspect largely because of the colour. Secondly, I spoke to an indy who said he does not buy green Porsches anymore because from experience he could not sell them as easily as other colours. The first and last one he did have, he said, he was forced to sell at the price he bought it for as couldn't have it hanging around his showroom for months on end. Mind you - I have only heard these arguments for the 996 and not any other line (such as the 993 you are looking at). Besides the one you are interested in is a C2S so the colour may not matter that much as there were so few produced and it may be easy to sell on.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130380

residuals and all those financial arguments aside your ownership should be about what you like, you're the one that has to live with it every day Simon.

Personally i like black but i think the arena red colour on the 993 looks superb. The gf was adamant that it was horrible however.

If you like it and can not just live with it but really enjoy it then go for it and enjoy it. (i'm sure you don;t need me to tell you all this :) )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130384

It's an interesting point. It seems to be conventional Porsche wisdom not to buy a green one as it's the most difficult colour to shift. This C2S is a good example of this as it has been around for a good while.

Personally I think it's a bit unfair to lambast a colour, but the Porsche market can be fickle on points such as this.

I agree that it's a classic combo - I guess it all comes down to how much you like it? If the car is otherwise sound and you can get it for a good price it might be a good buy, especially if you intend to keep it for a while. Just bare in mind it might take a little longer to shift on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130386

P.S. Rodders - your Corrado Storm was a limited edition model only available in 2 colours. I believe even today it's a highly sought after car.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130390

If you like, and its been there for a while... Talk price.. If you did not buy it and someone on here did for say £27,500 ?? Would you kick yourself ?

No harm in asking ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130397

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel on 05 April 2007

If you like, and its been there for a while... Talk price.. If you did not buy it and someone on here did for say £27,500 ?? Would you kick yourself ?

No harm in asking ?
I probably would. I get the feeling the dealer wants rid of it. What do you think a dealer paid for a car he's advertising at 29.5? I would guess at something like 26.5.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130399

Sounds about right... £26,500 - £27,000 !

If you don't ask you'll never know..

(and for the record, the green when cleaned would look very nice indeed)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130400

One of the problems with all green cars (apart from Rover judging by the number of them!!) is that green is traditionally seen as an unlucky colour for superstitious reasons - therefore the market for them is notably lower as a lot of people would avoid purely because of the colour.

This may sound stupid, and probably is, but for example my nan is exteremly superstitious about green - I am not in the slightest, but yet would never entertain the thought of a green car just in case.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130401

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by clipstone on 05 April 2007

One of the problems with all green cars (apart from Rover judging by the number of them!!) is that green is traditionally seen as an unlucky colour for superstitious reasons - therefore the market for them is notably lower as a lot of people would avoid purely because of the colour.

This may sound stupid, and probably is, but for example my nan is exteremly superstitious about green - I am not in the slightest, but yet would never entertain the thought of a green car just in case.
Oh great. Thanks a lot!!! :wink:

Now I'm bound to stack on the drive home if i buy it.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130402

Not a traditional Porsche colour but in fact I believe the very last UK delivered RHD 993 TT was Forest Green which was up for sale over £70k last year. Its gotta be very rare on the C2S which is a plus and to be honest if the paint gets correction and is kept well waxed it would look superb.

Pricewise I think it seems reasonable-to-good value, but prices on these vary as to what work has or hasnt been done hence the fluctuation in asking prices. It doesnt seem to have had any cosmetic mods and is in original spec. Mine was far more but had a huge amount spent on it so I wouldnt have any surprises and came with OPC extended warranty which just paid out.

If you like it chnaces are someone else will, but its for you and if it drives well get it, you'll love it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130403

Part of the unpopularity of a colour is a self-fulfilling prophecy, e.g. punter reads in buyers guide that green is unpopular, so when he sees a green car says "ha, that's green, that's unpopular that is", so it stays unsold, the price drops etc.

The way I see it is, buy a great car in a colour you like. If that's an unpopular colour, so what, but make sure you pay a bit less for it as it will inevitably fetch less when you come to sell.

FWIW, I think green's a great colour.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130409

This car has been up for sale for ages.

Many people won't buy green cars because they're green, doesn't matter if it's a nce green or not.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130415

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back