Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ABS/PSM light up

John W Jones

5 days into my first Porsche and both warning lights appear last night on a run down the coast.

Both indicate failure and a return to workshop message!!

Whats going on?

Help

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130343

Can you say which 2 warning lights are coming on?

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130348

Er possibly ABS & PSM?

I know on Mercs a similar problem is caused by a faulty brake light switch that costs £10.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130349

My old 996 Targa did this every now and again. If by switching off the engine and restarting clears the warning ligts I wouldn't worry too much. However if they do stay on get it seen to PDQ.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130354

Get it checked just to be sure. No point having the lights if you not going to act on them. Probably nothing too serious if they are not staying on.

And keep your fingers crossed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130372

Had the same. Do a search on here for more info, but its most likely the MAF sensor (air flow). I drove for 3mths with them coming on occasionally (1 in every 5 drives) and then they were fixed under warranty at same time as service - some sensor in the slave cylinder. You might find they only come on sometimes, not every drive. See it as a challenge to drive the beast without ABS... should keep you on your toes! (or put the car in the bushes...)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130395

Possibly an abs sensor on one of the wheels- psm uses the abs sensor to measure wheel speed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130411

It'll be a faulty MAF, you can reproduce this on any non-faulty car by not reconnecting the plug to the MAF sensor..... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130463

Thanks for your advice.

What does the mass air flow sensor actually do?

I have been in touch with the service department and this is what I've been told to try and get a diagnosis before I take it back.

1.Switch off the PSM

2.Drive quite quickly on a quiet road 50-60mph and brake hard to get the ABS to work.

3.See if the ABS FAILURE LIGHT COMES ON.

I have done this without ending in the bushes and got the ABS to work.At that time the ABS light did not come on.However a few miles from home the ABS Failure light and PSM FAILURE LIGHT came on even though I had switched it off from the moment I started the test.

I will relay this info to the garage tomorrow and let you know how things develop.

Love the car...................glued to the road..................but its bloody tropical conditions in South Wales!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130490

John, I had this and it was brake pedal switch in my case (althoug the MAF was also faulty and changed first, but didn't solve the original problem so dealer kept looking).

It is more likely electrical in the ABS / brake circuit - if MAF is really bad the 'engine check' light will probably flash as well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130530

BTW MAF sensor measures the precise amount of intake air going into the engine to enable exactly the right amount of fuel to be injected at all times. This prevents unburnt fuel entering the exhaust system and knackering your cats - and polluting the environment.

It also stops flames coming out of your exhaust on the overrun - which is a damn shame! :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130534

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 05 April 2007

It'll be a faulty MAF, you can reproduce this on any non-faulty car by not reconnecting the plug to the MAF sensor..... :wink:
I was going to say that, but wouldn't it trigger the Engine check light too?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130542

Well I am back from the dealer and a faulty brake switch was to blame.They have carried out further tests and we are 200 miles post repair and no flashing lights.Will keep a close eye on things and let you know.Will post a pic when I get round to it!!

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135147

Am I allowed to gloat a bit now for getting the correct diagnosis? :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135239

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wattie on 23 April 2007
Am I allowed to gloat a bit now for getting the correct diagnosis?
smiley15.gif

Self-praise is no praise :wink:

Nice diagnosis!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135240

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back