Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lamb to slaughter ?

JCC

Gentle readers, after much perusing of all sites Porsche, I leap in with my first question....I have been looking for an 2002/2003 Targa or C2 for a couple of months now and reading all I can on the subject matter (Ultimate Porsche Buyers Guide, by Neal/Morgan etc). I find myself with a dilema. Newly advertised facelift Cab on a 51 plate with 62k miles. I wasnt lookng for a Cab or such high miles or so old. In fact it would probably not rank near the top of my wish list. Problem is..........It is stunning, it is in my favourite Basalt black with the hard top on and looks the biz. It also has hoooge spec. P everything, split rims, fixed spoiler. Just trying to get some detail on the warranty just now. It carries with car not owner right ? Should I go for what is undoubtabley the eye candy option ? It is on for £35k, but I have a good relationship with the company selling and expect to get a good trade in / deal............Any advice ? Please

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129790

Can I clarify how a targa would have a hard top ? I thought targas had the large glass sunroof, and hence no hard top, or have i misunderstood your post?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129793

St... looks like JCC wanted a targa but has now seen a cab with a hard top....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129794

Personally I love cabs and they are great cars, so yes. I think that it is about right at £35K, if it does have an OPC warranty (will cost you £1100 minimum). Although the miles are a little high. I though that dealers couldn't transfer an OPC warranty, and that it could only be done from Private Owner to Private Owner - I may be wrong though.

Basically, if you like it go for it. Eye candy is what it is all about!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129798

nicola is correct.............Probably my poor grasp of english grammar.

So Poo...........'miles are a little high'. My first thought as well. Only had a quick look at the (OPC) stamps in the service book, but it looked in order. I will only be doing around 500-600 miles per month over the 2 years I intend to keep it. Might bring it a little back in line come resale time ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129801

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 03 April 2007

Personally I love cabs and they are great cars, so yes. I think that it is about right at £35K, if it does have an OPC warranty (will cost you £1100 minimum). Although the miles are a little high. I though that dealers couldn't transfer an OPC warranty, and that it could only be done from Private Owner to Private Owner - I may be wrong though.

Basically, if you like it go for it. Eye candy is what it is all about!
This is correct. OPC warranty will not be transferable from previous owner if sold through an indy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129803

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by JCC on 03 April 2007

nicola is correct.............Probably my poor grasp of english grammar.

So Poo...........'miles are a little high'. My first thought as well. Only had a quick look at the (OPC) stamps in the service book, but it looked in order. I will only be doing around 500-600 miles per month over the 2 years I intend to keep it. Might bring it a little back in line come resale time ?
You are probably right there. To help you, my cab is a 2001 Y (Apr) and has 52k miles and I would expect it to fetch £29K after some negotiation. Mine has OPC Warranty and full OPC service history. But the spec on mine isn't so big and it has Savannah interior which puts some people off.

Most Porsche book at 6-8K per year, so 6 years should be 36-48K miles. Anything over that tends to reduce the price a little. The miles aren't a problem in terms of driving, just means you should get a slightly better deal on it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129804

Hope you are enjoying the site by the way JCC. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129805

Oh and an extra thing to check on the cab is that the rollover bars have been checked. Should be done every 4 years. Only costs £30, so no big deal. But should the worst happen, you will want them to work.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129806

Heck !

There is a little give in the trade in deal as I see it. I hinted that I would pay the dealer for the warranty if he added it to the cost of the deal. IF he put it through the inspection and paid for anything found at fault. I am a chancer BTW.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129808

The warranty is a must, but personally I would want it built into that price. Or at least worth a try - as you are trading in, makes the deal a little harder.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129809

My family have bought loads of cars and company vehicles from them through the last 30 years, so I know I will get a good deal as far as money goes. I just need to make sure I get the warranty sorted by the sounds of things, then I can worry less about things going pop in a 6year old car. And I do worry about that !

Oh, then I need to inform the better half of my plan. My serious work begins then.

Great forum.............been reading it for a couple of months, learning all the buzzwords !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129813

Just remember Sports Exhaust - so nice on the cabs!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129821

If it's got the warranty already just get the dealer to ask the previous owner to sign across the warranty.

Thats what I did then renewed it again without having to do the inspection.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129903

On the OPC Warranty issue.... I did the same thing as Rawhide suggests when I bought from an Indy... the previous owner just signs the private sale transfer sheet when he sells... you just fill in your pers dets and send it off...... about a week later a letter back confirming transf!! ......all worked fine for me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130289

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back