Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

smoke on start up

dean morgan

Hi everyone,

would be grateful for some advice

having brought my first C4S 2003 model in october 2006 i have only managed to cover 600miles in that time, the car has only covered 8000miles in total.

When i start the car i notice a puff of smoke on start up is this normal? as i never had this problem with my E46 M3 with the same milage.

I have read that it is bad having a low milage car is this true? All advice greatly received.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129445

Welcome to the forum Dean, The smoke on start up isn't a problem as long as it goes after a few seconds. It is part of the process of having a flatsix engine layout. So no worries there.

On the miles - these cars do like to be driven, but quite a few only do 2-4K miles a year. As long as these is spread over the year to some degree then you shouldn't have too many problems. Do keep religiously to the service schedule though and keep a battery charger on the car to stop any problems there.

Also as you are only up the road I'll happily pop up and give the car a run for you! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129466

The smoke is caused by hot oil running along the valve guides when stationary/switched off. When the car starts up again, the excess oil is burned off causing the smoke. Generally it's nothing to worry about as long as it goes away after a couple (literally 2-3) seconds.

Some oils are specially designed to not/reduce smoke. Castrol TXT Softec is engineered this way. Not wanting to open a can of worms, but this is the only current Porsche-recommended oil and is generally available only to the industry, not retail.

Welcome to 911uk! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129524

Mine smoked on startup once and I noticed it - I drove down the road and did about 20 miles and the intermediate shaft thingy went and it never started again lol. I have a new engine now and that had a few puffs of smoke on startup but looks like they overfilled it slightly so check your dipstick as that will show if it's overfilled but your oil gauge in the car wont. Also because my drive isn't perfectly flat I think it made this worse. When I parked it the opposite way round it didn't happen again.

Still running in - only another 1200 miles to go.... Zzzzzz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129874

have had this a few times. normally after a period of inactivity followed by a hard run and then an overnight wait or similar. not a prob.

also got it last time i went to bedford. not so good, huge cloud of white smoke half way down the main straight. returned to pits and did not go out again. booked in to porsche, one thorough inspection later, nothing wrong could be found, and i have had nothing since. white smoke every now and again, even a big dump appears to just be one of the characteristics of these cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129899

Thanx for all the advice and the speed of the replies. It's good to know that it isn't anything to worry about. Reading about all these problems sometimes make you paranoid!

So Poo you are welcome to come down and show me how it should be driven :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129977

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by dean morgan on 03 April 2007

Thanx for all the advice and the speed of the replies. It's good to know that it isn't anything to worry about. Reading about all these problems sometimes make you paranoid!

So Poo you are welcome to come down and show me how it should be driven :)
Dean,

You should try and come down to Bedford on the 11th May (see other thread) and give it a bit of exercise! Will be a great evening, although I don't tend to show anyone how to drive. :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129986

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by dean morgan on 03 April 2007

Reading about all these problems sometimes make you paranoid!
I think there's a lot in that.

Just enjoy the car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130072

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

This morning i noticed a puff of smoke on startup, never done/noticed it before and worried the hell out of me. Mines done 90k and i've just recently topped it up with Mobil 1 (maybee i put too much in?), the smoke only lasted for a few seconds (about 5) as if it was resting in the exhaust and was burnt off at startup, hope it's what you guys say it is.

I know my cam solinoid seals are leaking, could this be anything to do with it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130374

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back