Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New gearbox needed-Updated

Philip1972

Popped to the indi to ask about a rattle I have in the car when neither accelerating or decelerating but that stops when you press the clutch in.
Never mind the rattle he said after 10 yards-its the whine thats a problem. Get it to Porsche because you have the warranty. You need a new gearbox. There is a bearing that has or is in the process of collapsing.
Off I go and they say we havent got a car for you to use-why dont you drive back down the road and call Porsche Assist. So I did and now I have a Merc and my car is in OPC Chester.
So, could the whining be caused by anything that WONT be covered under the warranty? The OPC said they used to just replace the whole box but now they have to repair them? Any ideas?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128549

Phillip I would be amazed if the anything in the gearbox isnt covered by the wtty,

dont worry buddy it will be fine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128551

Sorry to here that Phillip. You ain't having much luck at the moment with the car are you? :(

However if anyone is considering whether to have a warranty or not, I think this should answer it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128555

If I can get the engine to blow up next, I will have basically a brand new car!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128557

Don't know if this helps, but that's exactly what I had in my 993. Turned out to be the diff bearing had exploded, wrecking the diff. Needed new diff and gearbox rebuild. Hope it's something straight forward mate.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128558

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Philip1972 on 28 March 2007

If I can get the engine to blow up next, I will have basically a brand new car!!!!
Any idea how long this time mate?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128571

Dont know how long. They cant even look at it till Friday. I guess that if it was just a new boc its a quick job but if they insist that they want to mend what is briken they will have to strip it down which will take ages.
Is there anyone that I can call to ask if I can have a new box ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128578

Philip,

Although I am on the other side of the world maybe I can offer an explanation re the repair of the box as opposed to complete replacement. At the moment in Australia, if you have a gearbox problem they still have to change the whole box (for a factory reconditioned one).

I have been offered this explanation:

With the 996 the gearbox internals were produced by ZF under licence from Porsche (unlike previous boxes). ZF was given the job on the proviso that they were not to supply any parts to people requiring them in the event of a worn synchro, dogteeth etc. You essentially had to go back to Porsche who would fix the problem (new box) and hand over some serious cash - essentially a money making exercise. This sort of stuff is not limited to gearboxes apparently (I have a rattling strut plate at the moment which essentially requires a new strut unit - you can't get the plate alone I'm told.

I have been told that Porsche were looking at beginning to supply parts for the rebuilds however we are yet to get anything down here and I know a lot of the indies are trying to contact companies overseas who are fabricating their own parts as the cost of a new box for a car out of warranty is approx. $16k aussie (from an OPC) and seems a hell of a cost for say a dead synchro or dogteeth problem. The comparatively cheaper rebuild will set us back about $3k.

Maybe a number of cars under warranty have been coming in and Porsche have decided to start supplying parts as although they don't make as much money from the poor blokes like myself who are out of warranty, it will cost them less in the event of somebody having this problem with their car still being under warranty, i.e. your situation.

There are a number of 996's (including mine - dead dogteeth ring although very minor), Boxster S's crusing around over here waiting for Porsche to make parts available rather than having to fork out $16k for a new box.

You guys have obviously had the parts made available sooner and hence the OPC's requirement to "rebuild" as opposed to the previous situation of "replace".

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128656

Thanks for that-makes things a bit clearer!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128657

Popped in today, mainly to tell them NOT to wash the car. The girl was really on the ball. She said they had done an extensive road test and they can hear noise in the gearbox. Next step is to drain the oil and inspect it to see if there are any metal particles in it. More updates when available!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129123

Had a call today. They drained the oil and found lots of shiny metal bits (swarf??). They are going to strip the box and see if its more economical to fit a new box or fix it. We will see!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129574

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back