Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whats the price difference....

sTTu

between two 997 C2S's, one six months older but with 10K miles less ? Any know what the six months and 10K miles is worth in terms of price difference?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127350

C2Ss seem to be losing about £1K per month, with normal mileage (8K per year). Not sure about the different mileages though.

What years are the car? one of the guys who has access to the guide prices will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127351

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 23 March 2007

C2Ss seem to be losing about £1K per month, with normal mileage (8K per year). Not sure about the different mileages though.

What years are the car? one of the guys who has access to the guide prices will be able to give you a definitive answer.

A grand a month is horrendous depreciation, that's up there with the M3s back in 2003!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127352

C2s's with Turbo wheels don't depreciate at all - high in demand :eek:

Otherwise I wouldn't have gone as far a £1K per month - surely?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127383

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jamie on 23 March 2007

C2s's with Turbo wheels don't depreciate at all - high in demand :eek:

Otherwise I wouldn't have gone as far a £1K per month - surely?
Maybe not quite, but it is 24 months and some are in the low £50Ks. So maybe £850 a month. Sorry Jamie. :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127387

Even £850pm is a bitter pill to swallow (well for me it is!). Surely after 24 months, this rate of depreciation will flatten out.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127851

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxie Islam on 26 March 2007

Even £850pm is a bitter pill to swallow (well for me it is!). Surely after 24 months, this rate of depreciation will flatten out.

~ Maxie
I doubt it, prices will drop and drop, I know a trader who said that 997 prices are doing their knackers at the moment ! I'd never buy a new one, the hit if you keep it three years is bloody massive, but thats what happens if you buy £70K+ cars. As a percentage its no worse than a Golf etc, its just higher value. All this crap about 911's holding their money is twadle.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127859

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by sTTu on 26 March 2007
[All this crap about 911's holding their money is twadle.
It wasn't traddle in it's time it's just 10 years out of date. When Porsche only made relatively few cars it was perfecty true.

997, 996, Boxster and Cayman will follow the same rules as any other make now. 997s are likely to depreciate about 40% over three years if you take trade price.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127961

So as far as residuals are concerned, which would you say is the strongest in the 997 range? Arguably it's the C4S as far as 996's go (or is it GT3's?).

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128119

"..between two 997 C2S's, one six months older but with 10K miles less ? Any know what the six months and 10K miles is worth in terms of price difference.."

Depends on a lot of factors – the actual mileage of the cars (makes a big difference if the newer car is over average mileage versus the older one being below)

How long you intend to keep, the amount of miles you plan to add

The actual age of the cars & the plates they are on

If the newer car is still in warranty

Life left in the tyres

If both cars had average mileage the newer car should in theory have about 4k less miles – so having 10k more means the real difference is 14k (once age is taken into account)

Based on lots of assumed answers to the above questions I would suggest the older lower mile car would just have the edge on the higher mileage newer car

On the subject of deprecation

I lost £1300 a month (70p a mile) on mine – I bought it brand new and sold after 12 months, so took the brunt of the hit on the extras)

The guy a I sold it to also sold after 12 months (£562 a month or 84p a mile)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129227

if its a worry depreciation that is then we shouldnt be in the game,

I love my GT3 but investment it aint

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129229

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but, one of the factors that encouraged me into Porsche ownership (many years ago) was the solidity of the residual.

I think I may be similar to many Porsche owners, in that, whilst depriciation is not a worry, it's a consideration.

Whilst we all realise that we are going to loose money on a car (any car), we want to limit this.

I have never looked upon a car as an investment, more of a hobby.

In terms of the best residual at present... surely the 996 C4S, or, if the budget stretches to it, the TT.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129256

If you want an investment - keep the money elsewhere - like Daz said - don't join the game unless you can afford to.

The pleasure is the owning and using the car.

Depreciation is only one of the costs.
MPG
Insurance
Maintenance
Unexpected repairs
Tyres
Disks

You name it!

Slippery slope upgrades.....

Porsche ownership is expensive.

Its not a place for the penny pincher faint hearted accountant spreadsheet obsessive with a bitchy wife who questions his every move.

When you know this and can hold your ground then it becomes a lot easier to live with.

I have no experience with Maseratti or Ferrari but I bet its more expensive.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Big boys toys are for big boys.

:D

Now I'm goin back to watch the end of Pulp Fiction.....

"Did you see the size of that gun he fired at us?"

"This was devine intervention"

"man I shot Marvin in the face"

"This is some serious gourmet sh*t"

"The Wolf will be commin directly"

"I'm Mr Wolf - I solve problems"

"Aside from how it looks the car is cool"

"Pretty please with sugar on top - clean the fkn car"

"Garcon - coffee"

"I think we should be leavin now!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129265

Have to disagree with the points on deprecation :)

Deprecation is the single biggest cost in car ownership – by far !!!! (unless you own a classic)
It should not be the reason you buy or don’t buy a Porsche but equally anyone that does not take it into account as part of the purchase clearly has more money than sense – literally

I think once you made the decision to own a Porsche –hopefully for reasons to do with driving experience, looks, build quality etc then I see nothing wrong with trying to ensure the cost of ownership is as sensible as possible – surely this is only common sense !

Personally love to buy a brand new 997 Turbo, GT3, M6, AM Vantage however I am happier to wait and own one during it 3
rd
year of life and it therefore cost me about half the money to own it during it’s 1
st
year.

This may make me a penny pinching/ account etc however the reality is by making these types of decisions I get to drive nice cars and send my kids to private education etc and not one or the other

Completely agree with the point that Porsche ownership is very expensive however by making some sensible choices (age, model, colour) you can half the cost but take nothing away from the driving experience.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129277

The really bad news about depreciation cost is that not only do you have to take the loss on value of the car, but you should also factor in what you've lost in investment income on the money you've got tied up in the car - and very few of us do thank goodness! You're only here once and I'd hate to be sitting in my wheelchair at 97 thinking "I wish I'd bought that 911...."

The really good news is that we own 911s and not a Maserati or a Ferrari - something like a 575 Maranello will probably drop £100K in four years from new.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129345

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back