Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

total garbage

PETE T

having visited another porsche forum i was amazed to see a thread about extended porsche warrantys and the general thought was that porsche warrantys are only taken out by people who do not look after there cars properly and this coming from dealers as well 996 owners and that its better to save the money for a so called rainy day,not having owned my 996 long,but i have been around high value vehicles long enough to know that people who buy fast cars do not drive them slowly all the time and often use them to there max every now and then,what is the point of owning such cars if not to use them anyway just thought i would have a rant because i am so amazed at some peoples train of thought,996 engine circa 10k,porsche warranty 850 ish about 11 years worth at 10k im sure even with proper service and maintainance something big will let go in 10 years and thats just the engine,my 53 plate 996 is on its 2nd engine after 17k,replaced by porsche f.o.c because it has a warranty ,porsche extended warranty for me its a no brainer.pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124953

I agree - that is a one sided opinion. I am sure that some people buy an extended warranty because they drive their cars hard - but for most people it does what it says on the tin - Insurance against mechanical failure... I will be buying an extended warranty when mine is out of the initial period just for peace of mind....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124955

I still find it amazing that Porsche accept NO liabilty for the KNOWN failures... This is not obscure fialure BUT the known problems ---- Fit for purpose comes to mind... Will all new VW's carry extended £800 per year cover against BAD design !! It deserves a test case or several... Whilst I agree with Jamie purly from a 'peace of mind' perspective it's still an extra £10p/mile tax... If mine lets go I will sit outside my local Porche OPC with a billboard letting every one know...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125050

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by PETE T on 15 March 2007

one big massive punctuation free sentence
Sheesh, take a breath at some point mate :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125053

With regards to warranty - i thought it a good thing to have when purchasing but not having it wouldn't have put me off so long as the car was good.

To be fair, mine has paid for itself but £900 is a lot to pay out if you don't have a claim - and be wary that the OPC warranty really doesn't cover all that much outside of engine and gearbox. They are also quite adept at throwing out claims on the grounds of wear and tear when it's a clear case of part failure.

I stick with it for a certain degree of peace of mind but a claim of mine was repired by the OPC as warranty work but Porsche have declined to pay out. I've not had to pay out but the OPC are down a couple of grand and i was therefore very lucky! They're not the world's most profitable company through their (lack of) generosity.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125055

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

what about those of us with older cars with 90k+ on the clock and shallow pockets? The Porsche warranty only applies to cars with less than 100K on the clock.

I certainly wouldn't pay £900 for something they will always try and wiggle out of. Didn't you know you can get a complete engine and gearbox with 30-40k for around £2000 from a car breakers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125070

they dont always try to wriggle out look at my post engine replaced f.o.c ,my post was more about people thinking that owners that buy the warrany are people who thrash there cars it may be true in some cases but certainly is not my case,my car was in for warranty renewal 2 weeks ago as well as fitment of sports exhaust and the service manager commented that he had not seen a 53 plate in as good condition,maybe he was just being nice but the car has never been thrashed and it shows in the condition in IMO the warranty is just a bit of Insurance in case things do go tits up,its had another new engine f.o.c so the way i look at it is im 9k in front so far.pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125089

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 16 March 2007

With regards to warranty - i thought it a good thing to have when purchasing but not having it wouldn't have put me off so long as the car was good.

To be fair, mine has paid for itself but £900 is a lot to pay out if you don't have a claim - and be wary that the OPC warranty really doesn't cover all that much outside of engine and gearbox. They are also quite adept at throwing out claims on the grounds of wear and tear when it's a clear case of part failure.
Not strictly true. My last claim was for 3 new radiators, alarm siren, water pump, oil cooler, RMS ... basically everything apart from a new engine :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125091

I agree Pete

I thought it was 125k miles and 9 years warranty? Warranty T&C's do change, it used to 150k miles.

To us it might cost say 12 grand for a new engine or more but for Porsche it wouldn't cost anywhere near that amount to make it from the raw materials to the finished article. So by paying 800 quid a year for a warranty just puts a bit more money in the pot for failures and helps pay for the cost of parts alone and keeps more Porsches on the road and values up because of desiribility and longevity.

I think it's a great thing that you can pay relatively so little and not have to worry about huge repair bills for 9 years on a car. Most cars by 9 years are worth nothing, go and buy a corsa for say 10 grand and see what it's worth after just 3 years and then after another 6 years see if it's still even on the road and you'll find that most aren't.

Plus the fact that every time you turn the key oh what a sound it makes, that's worth saving say 60 quid a month on top of running costs just for the pleasure of having a warranty for peace of mind.

Cheers, Marco

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125093

My warranty runs out in a month and I don't intend replacing it at £1,000 approx.

If I wanted to go the OPC route I'd have to repair the very minor RMS leak first. The clutch is good and I've no intention of fixing the RMS unless that goes. I'm not even convinced I'd have had an RMS failure unless Porsche had overfilled the oil. At the last service the oil was filled to above the max mark. I should have done something about it, but thought 'no - works done by Porsche - it'll be fine'.

£1,000 approx is a hell of an Insurance premium against engine / gearbox failure. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, but how many of you have first hand experience of engine / gearbox failure?

Pete - I'm sending our IT Manager round to fix the punctuation mark keys on your keyboard. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125121

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 16 March 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 16 March 2007

Not strictly true. My last claim was for 3 new radiators, alarm siren, water pump, oil cooler, RMS ... basically everything apart from a new engine :D
You're lucky to have had new rads as i've read of a number of people who's blatantly poorly made rads were not replaced under wtty. RMS is a nice number for the OPCs and i've heard that they quite like to throw that one in.

You're water pump, oil cooler and oil pump are part of the engine. So it's really just the alarm siren that counters my statement. You'd probably find that if you're fob failed it would be declined as wear and tear.

I have the list of all parts covered under wtty and, though it looks impressive, there are a number of items which you'll struggle to get them to do. It also has a huge bearing whether you have a good relationship with a good OPC as there are many horror stories of non service.

I recently renewed my wtty so am obviously not against it, i just think that you have to be realistic in that it is not an all encompassing safety net for part failure - in fact it's pretty far from it! It basically buys me some peace of mind in the horrible (but unlikely) event of my £35k engine throwing its hand in. I've been very lucky it seems to have had 'box work under wtty but again i've got a good relationship with a decent OPC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125123

cheers doc my wife has just shown me how to use the keyboard correctly, not all that good with computers yet .I left school at 15 30 years ago, original nobby no level.

I take on board what you say about the warranty,it was just the thought that people think that if you have one its because its percieved that you abuse your car which im sure is not right in every case.pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125157

Those moaning about your punctuation are no doubt smokers and quickly ran out of breath! lol.

I had no probs reading it.....................................................................................

cos i had my last 'nail' 6 months ago!!!

I will renew my warranty in December, mainly for 'Piece of Mind' (well cool '83 Iron Maiden LP) as i run, sorry THRASH a '01 pre lift 996. Yes it is a lot of money, but i feel i'd have a lot of come back if ???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125159

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

the rads are utter crap! i've just had to replace my second, but the good news is Euro Car Parts sell them for £89 +vat and if you fit them yourself like i did it's a cheap fix and a relatively simple job. I bet you any money Porsche get their rads from the same place and have the cheek to charge 3 times the price....so i've heard.

I don't think any repair/replacement is beyond the DIY'er if you're prepared to get your hands dirty and take your time, at the end of the day it's a car like any other, just looks sooooooooo much better and goes sooooooo much faster.

There are plenty of used parts about and a good choice of new parts suppliers, my local small motorfactors even had front pads on the shelf!

Back on the warranty subject has anyone got the latest facts, how much and whats covered, how to qualify, lets have a laugh...

would things like window mechanisms, aircon, lost keys etc be covered?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125163

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by PETE T on 16 March 2007

cheers doc my wife has just shown me how to use the keyboard correctly, not all that good with computers yet .I left school at 15 30 years ago, original nobby no level.

I take on board what you say about the warranty,it was just the thought that people think that if you have one its because its percieved that you abuse your car which im sure is not right in every case.pete
Now that's a lot better, gold star for improvement. Promise i'll try and sound less like some snotty teacher.

Your point is entirely valid and there is an unusual opinion some have that the warranty is completely useless - it's not, it's just not all inclusive as some would like.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125174

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back