Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Busted

MQ

Sao Paulo
Just thought I'd share my recent experience with the board.

I went out for a drive in my car last weekend and after a few miles I could just hear a faint rattling from the engine. It sounded almost like a clip or bolt loose on say the exhaust. Then before I could do anything all the panic lights came up on the dash and I lost complete power. The engine cut out and I coasted onto the hard shoulder.

I rang Porsche Assist and about an hour later the RAC turned up to check the car out. They then called for the recovery truck to take us and the car home. So all was good and about 3 hours after initially breaking down we were home safe and sound.

RAC took the car to their secure compound and were excellent in every way and even covered up the number plates and put on the wheel protectors before strapping it down. Also Porsche Assist were brilliant and kept us informed of what was happening during the whole process.

Porsche Assist picked the car up from RAC and took it to my local dealers in Bolton and that day I got a phone call to say that the engine had suffered an intermediate thingymajig failure which meant it required a new engine. Porsche called me later to confirm that the engine had been ordered and was covered under warranty. They said that the engine would probably take 5 days to get to the dealers and then they would have to fit it within 48hrs of receiving it.

I got the car back and delivered to me on Monday and they took the shiny new Mercedes ML320CDi back that they loaned me. They had installed a fully dressed brand new engine including new alternator, air con compressor and all ancillaries. I was surprised to see that everything was new. I would have thought they would have taken off the original things and refitted them to the new engine.

I was told that I needed to change the Engine number with DVLA and that the engine gets 6hrs running in at Porsche. I've done another 7hrs of gentle driving in it since getting it back on Monday and all seems well. The engine starts better and bursts into life, it also runs much smoother than the other and sounds totally different. When I get to about 3500rpm the sound changes and the engine seems to gain another extra 100bhp and really tries to go for it but I change up very swiftly to keep the revs down during running in. I can't wait until it is run in but the Porsche book quotes 1836 miles I think :( It will be worth it though.

Has anyone else had a recent engine change and noticed such a big difference? The old engine had a linear power delivery throughout the rev range and sounded totally different.

All in all it has been a pleasureable easy experience unlike some horror stories I've heard and read about. So a big thanks to all concerned for an amazing service and all the people at Bolton OPC for a very quick turn around.

The car is a 996 2005 build date C4S and had covered just 13,361 miles.

Cheer all, Marco

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124707

Thanks for the write up Marco. i must day it makes a nice change to hear a happy story and for someone to take the effort when the service has been what sounds like faultless.

well done Porsche. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124715

Result!!!

And there's all us high mileage 3.4 owners panicking at the slightest little rattle, flutter, and change in engine note!!!

Think you'll find all will be new within two years of build date - as full Porsche warranty then, as opposed to extended.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124718

Nice to hear good news for warranty cars. :D

Don't drive so hard next time. :D
LOL.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124726

I know what I'll be buying in July when the warranty runs out....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124727

I glad the OPC lived up to it's expectations. Good to hear of some nice service. And I hope you mean another warranty MArcus (although doesn't your new engine have a 2 year warranty on it anyway?).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124736

Yes it will be a new warranty although a new GT3RS would be nice :)

Not sure if it has 2 years warranty on it - I shall enquire...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124744

I wonder if the replacement engine is from a 997? Porsche operate a "just in time" build so I doubt they have a stock of previous model engines? Would be intersting to know?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124747

In that case I think my 996GT3 engine is on its last legs

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124749

hi marko my 53 plate 996 has just had a new engine fitted by porsche under warranty after only covering 15 thousand miles it is now run in at 17k and you are right the powe really kicks in about 3.5 k rpm and goes like a train up to rev limiter.pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124756

by the way i asked porsche if the new engine is warranted because its new and they said no because it was put in f.o.c it is only warranted if you pay for it yourself,which i find strange.pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124759

that is the law,

if you have a two year wtty, and your engine blows on the last day of the two years, and is replaced under wtty, it is only under wtty for one day despite being a new engine,

however when you pay for something, you are purchasing under teh sales of goods act

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124763

Don't agree with that, a new engine should have the same warranty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124764

I agree with you carl but is the law, and applies to all goods, though one can argue the case with Trading Standards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124765

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 14 March 2007

I agree with you carl but is the law, and applies to all goods, though one can argue the case with Trading Standards
Based on the fit for purpose run, I think you would do ok.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124772

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back