Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How Low will they go

asim hassan

Silverstone
Hi

I have a 996 99 T C4 with 59k miles which I paid £24k in Feb, I am doing about 10k miles per year.

Any ideas about what it might be worth in 5 years time (assuming it or me doesnt break :) )?

My guess is £13-14k?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124629

crystal ball time ehh,

dont think they will get that low tbh,

993's, 996's unless damaged or whatever, have been quite static at the bottom end of the market for the last 18months,

very few droping below £20k

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124634

Assuming you keep it in really good condition, then I would be surprised to see it drop below £17K, even with over 100K miles on the clock.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124640

If I could get £17k for it, then £1.5k depreciation per year is fantastic.

fingers crossed on the engine then

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124846

I think there'll be slightly higher depreciation than that. An early 996 with 100k+ on the clock is not going to be massively popular in 2012 I wouldn't expect. I would guess at around £14k for that car in 5 years time. Of course a lot depends on the overall economic climate at the time you're looking to sell. There are a lot of 996's out there and they are never going to hold their value like the 993 IMO.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124853

I agree with Daz they won't drop too much and P cars always hold there money for many years to come, so you've probably bought a great non depreciating car and as long as you keep it bonny people will buy on condition and not age or mileage to a certain degree.

Enjoy!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124863

I'd certainly expect it to hold its value better than other cars- I paid £38k for an up-spec new 330Ci in 02, sold it in 2006 with 80k miles on the clock for £11k :(

I'd expect my C4S to do better than that over a similar mileage. But even if it doesn't, I know that it will be a great 80k miles!

As a recent 996 convert, if you could get a good higher miles but well-loved 3.4 for £20k-ish you are getting a cracking car for the money.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124872

Thanks for this

My track record in depreciation speaks for itself (its c**p)

1. Skyline GTR paid £41k sold for £35k after 1 year

2. Nissan 350z paid £24k sold for £21k after 6 months

3. Mercedes c32 AMG paid £24k sold for £17k after 6 months

4. 996c2 paid £38k sold for £31k after 9 months

I guess its down to type of car and length of ownership

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124877

I think it hard to tell because we've never seen such high production numbers from Porsche since the Boxster and 996 came along, so drawing comparisons from the past is difficult. The profile of buyer of a new 911 has also changed (broadened) since the 996 came out. Facelifts are now every couple of years which never used to be the case and further complicates second-hand values.

All Porsches will be desirable but it comes down to what else is in the market. e.g. M3's are still losing value and under £20k which is a better comparison. IMO I'd be inclined to agree with So Poo maybe slightly less. Early 996's to many were not considered to be the best looking 911 hence the styling of the 997.

All IMHO!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124899

I have 98R 996 (78K miles) which I see similar advertised at £23K+ at dealers which I paid £24K a year ago. I was offered £16K against a £50K TT last week... cheeky Ba*£$ards....

Any 98 - 911 is great value at sub £20K... I have had many motors over the years and ths deffinately does what it say's on the tin... The problem is there's a lot out there....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125051

Sadly, I think Porsche have got very greedy of late and have heavily prioritised profit over engineering. I fear that they may end uplike another Mercedes-Benz: cashing in on their heritage and good reputation of old and milking the company dry of the last little bit of goodwill from their loyal customers by turning out cheaply built, unreliable products, and shirking their responsibilities in terms of rectifying poor design and build.

I was hugely impressed in 2003, when my 993 was 7 years old, getting a letter from Porsche to get my engine wiring loom checked and then replaced free of charge (with a courtesy car provided) as it was below acceptable insulation tolerances.

Not only can I not see that ever happening with my 996, but I fully expect them to walk away from any liablity should my engine fail due to any of the well known, and well Documented, issues - ie. RMS, Intermediate shaft, cracked cylinder liners.

In addition, Porsche are chasing ever more volume, whilst 'gas-guzzlers' are becoming seriously anti-socal in many of their traditionally most profitable markets.

The result of all the above is an inevitable decline in residual values... IMHO I think the days of used 911s being worth any more than similarly priced (new) luxury cars are pretty much over (with the possible exception of very low volume niche models perhaps - eg. GT2, GT3RS). I don't even see GT3s becoming classics ether, as they have become reasonably high volume mainstream products now...

Depressing outlook maybe, but my hypothesis is based on 25 years experience within the motor industry, and I believe it is realistic I'm afaid.

Doesn't stop me wanting a GT3 though,or enjoying the car I've already got :D
it just means that I can no longer justify having a Porsche over a cheaper (and probably better built) car on whole life costs alone!

Just realised I haven't answered the original question with my great long rant, so here goes (brace yourself)...

£10k part-x, £12k private - and I think you'll struggle to sell it privately at all...

Sorry mate, but we are talking abot a 14 year-old car, in ready supply (they haven't rusted away such that good ones arehard to find), with outrageous Insurance premiums for the the youngsters that it will most appeal to, high maintenance costs, and a poor build quaity/reliability record.

Finally, deservedly or not, he 'sword of Damoclese' hanging over the 3.4 in terms of a possible need for a £12k engine replacement long after a Porsche warranty is impossible!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125072

Great post Wattie. Pleasure to read a considered, informed point of view.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125076

Thanks Simon...

Would love to be able to believe I'm wrong, but if I am right, what else can you buy that is as much fun, practical to run as a daily driver (like mine) and only depreciates by about 30p per mile on average? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125081

Absolutely. The ones that have lasted til 2012 and have been well cared for will probably go on forever. The problems you outline are spot on. A car that listed at £60k that you can pick up for £10k still goes wrong like a £60k car. The appeal will be there for a certain market, but there's a big difference to between being able to afford to BUY a car like that and being able to afford to RUN a car like that. People that can afford to run it are likely to be people that can afford to spend £30k+ on purchase.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125083

10k!-maybe for a C4 with tip and ruffled leather-NEVER for a C2 manual with sports interior!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125192

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back