Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

would I be mad.....

Alex Bartman

Would I be made to buy this centre consol kit in Aluminium (ish) or carbon fibre from flea-bay??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-UP-PORSCHE-996-WOOD-BRUSHED-ALUMINUM-DASH-KIT_W0QQitemZ120091638043QQihZ002QQcategoryZ40199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dont suppose anyione has any experience of this kit - it seems pretty inclsive and at £60 its amazing value but will it look dreadful - I suspect so to be honest but other kits are just too expensive at the moment. It would go on my C4 with black leather btw....Im assuming that it just sticks onto the existing black trim - which could do with a biot of an overhaul - hence the request!

thanks

Alex

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123006

Hi Alex, I would check that the 3M adhesive is plasticiser resistant for any parts being attached to flexible rather than rigid plastic compoents. If not, the adhesive will turn to chewing gum as soon as it gets hot due to plasticiser migration and the parts will peel off. If you get the adhesive reference number I can check as I work for 3M and have contacts in the adhesives business.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123015

Until someone tries it, I don't think we will ever know. But it sounds too good to be true - so probaby is!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123035

it cheap enough to give it a go - but Im worried about removing it if it is truly horrible - and the subsequent damage it may do to the existiing trim......the ebay seller has 1000's of positive feedbacks from past purchasers - but I could not find a 996 owner on his list of past customers.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123039

Removal would be easy but a little time consuming, there would be no damage to the existing trim. I would guess the feedback is mainly from Corsa and Saxo owners. Are you going for the first Max Power 911?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123048

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123072

Hate myself for saying that I am interested to see how it looks. Don't think I would do it in my car though.

I would imagine that you would be able to see the trim underneath in parts unless the fit is absolutely perfect.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123082

I'm dubious on the basis that they have no actual picture of a 996 with it installed.

I think I'd save up for a proper alu centre console which looks great.

On the other hand, for the sake of £58, you could order, and experiment with a couple of discrete bits. If it looks like a no-no, then you've not lost alot.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123086

Cheap enough, I would give it a try if thats what you like.I wouldn't of thought it would damage existing trim, sounds ok.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123187

Hi,

Looking at carbon fibre centre console, and found this company some time ago. Would not touch it too much Blue Peter sticky back plastic for my likeing.

Saving up for the real carbon fibre. Just my thoughts.

Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 123193

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back