Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Light damage "Cat D" listed..

Rob STEW

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi Guys,

Can anyone elaborate on Cat D listing in terms of effect on resale value.. worth etc.. All I can find is generic descrptions..

A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell).
Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage.
Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.
Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.
Recorded with HPI.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122108

harder to resell unless priced accordingly,so not a wise choice for short-term ownership IMHO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122109

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob STEW on 05 March 2007

Hi Guys,Can anyone elaborate on Cat D listing in terms of effect on resale value.. worth etc.. All I can find is generic descrptions..A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell). Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI. B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage. Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI. C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection. Recorded at DVLA & HPI. D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair. Recorded with HPI.
I have had experience of buying, owning and selling a cat 'D' registered car. PM me if you would like a further discussion about this topic

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122324

hi cat d should be about 3 quarters book value cat c should be 2 thirds of book all these providing repair is perfect,i work in motor vehicle salvage industry,you should treat all damaged vehicles as suspect often bodge jobs be very very carefull take an expert in the marque with you.regards pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122329

Difficult to finance by HP / traditional car financing methods.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122337

Hi Rob - are you by any chance referring to a Cat D Targa 996 which is listed in Autotrader:?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=&hassearched=Y&make=PORSCHE&min_pr=20000&source=0&model=911&max_pr=35000&miles=1500&agerange=2&mileage=&postcode=W3+8LS&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=targa&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=39&ukcarsearch_full.y=4&start=1&distance=172&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200708271599606

I have been following that car for months and its proving hard even for the trader to sell. Not being that much mechanically minded, I avoided that car as I thought it would also be hard for me to shift if I had bought it even though it is listed at about £10k under what everyone else is asking for their Targa of the same vintage. This particular example also has the wrong nose on it too. Tempting though at that price and 18k miles....

~Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124043

No it was a Turbo in the North of England at about £42K on Autotrader.. As above decided not worth it.. Although it's OK if you are buying with the discount and NOT planning to sell it..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124303

I'm always suspcious of those that claim their car's CAT-D, but has only had 'light-damage'. From my understanding (via friend in motor Insurance recovery business):- CAT-D: Repairs done with genuine main dealer parts and Insurance-industry approved bodyshop will cost more than the repaired value of the car, LESS the amount the Insurance company can get for selling the damaged vehicle for. So, often a CAT-D cat can be repaired economically, especially if cheaper bodyshop and/or non-genuine parts are used. CAT-C: Repairs done with genuine main dealer parts and Insurance-industry approved bodyshop will cost more than the car is worth, excluding its scrap value. So, normally, repairs would only be worthwhile if can be done very cheaply. e.g. person in motor trade happy to source items cheaply and do work at less than retail value. CAT-B: Car is damaged so much that it can only be used for spares. These are sold off by the Insurance company to approved vehicle dismantlers and checks made to be sure car is broken for parts. CAT-A: Car must be destroyed as so badly damaged to make sure that it cannot be rebuilt by unscrupulous repairers. (Once saw a pic of a F50 tub being crushed for that reason!).

So for a 996 to be CAT-D, the repairs will need to be quite expensive = not 'light' damage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124417

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back