Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.2 Carrera Info Pls

Andrew Healey

With all my family and job issues of late my mate is beating me to 911 ownership!! (BOO HOO!!)

He is a mechanic but not clued up on 911's so will eventually get his potential purchase inspected by Chris Sanderson at Loe Bank Motors.

He knows I come on here so wants to know what the common faults / niggles to watch out for?

I mentioned top end rebuild around 90-100k norm, heat exchangers(??), hoses, seals on targas, is there a common water leak somewhere? Correct me & advise others please - this will come in handy for me 2!!

Oh yes & the yanks that bought our firm have almost shut it down now - deadline April. I start a new job on Monday so will get new co car - oh dear - 1.6 Astra :roll:
Drive Astra now but at least its the 2.2.

Silver lining I suppose is the 500 quid a month extra in my pay packet and my wife now has the 911 bug! Yeeeee Haaa!!! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121711

Targa WILL leak, but the best body type IMHO, not that I'm biased in anyway.

Only niggle I have with mine is that the heater wants to melt your legs...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121723

Get the recent edition of 911 & Porsche World that has a 3.2 buyers guide.

Also worth joining PCGB. I got a lot of help and advice from the 3.2 Registrar before buying a car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121726

THE 911......IMHO.....(but Cabrio not Targa...in deference to Le Nic...)

Alex

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121739

Things I fixed on my 3.2

Fuses - replace them all front fuse box and in engine compartment in the little box on the left. This will improve engine performance and save hundreds of pounds when that strange engine missfire would normally occur due to corroded bullet shaped fuses. The cheapest tune up and preventative maintenance you can do on a 3.2 or SC.
Oil transfer tubes below the engine - replaced with the engine in place.

Oil pipes to the front oil cooler may need replacement - expensive.

Head Lights, indicators lenses and fog lights on an old car can be replaced if they are pitted/scruffy to great effect - takes 15 years off the car for not a lot of money and you can see where you are going too.

Replace the Distributer cap and plug leads and rotor arm it's another instant tune up.

The heater system reponds very well to a new set of exhaust butterfly valves and in my case lubrication of the fan spindles behind the carpets in the footwells at the front - a little oil on these stopped the noise and saved me getting new fans - and put an end to the summer days burning my legs due to the heater not switching off..

Red cars fade in sunshine and need frequent TLC to look good.

I used Fulda tyres which are cheap and effective with good grip and mileage.

Airbox holes drilled with a 2 inch wide drill sound wonderful.

Buy the 70 quid Bentley publishers manual for the car - Amazon or elsewhere - dont bother with the useless Haynes book - the Bentley book will save its cost the first time you have a service and can understand what the guys are talking about and make an informed decision as to whether you need that work done or not.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121746

Thanks all.

Nic - Told him Supersport & Targa is best combo! SSE is def best looking.

Told him to buy on condition not mileage so hopefully he get a good un! I get the pics wen he buys!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121750

This is a proper car....

2006_0326Image0010Small.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121861

.....or you could go with the waterproof version. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121872

.........another proper 911!
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/PC050012%20(600%20x%20450)(2).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121894

Stop it with your funny wrap around rear screens.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121895

lots more room in the back with a "funny wrap around rear screen" :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121911

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 03 March 2007

This is a proper car....

2006_0326Image0010Small.jpg
actually,

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/1(17).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121919

proper car look no further.
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/carls

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122296

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by carl stephens on 05 March 2007

proper car look no further.
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/carls
I like the flying supersport, I wonder if mine will do that?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122304

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back