Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 LHD?

Elite Detailing

Singapore
Good evening

My aim is to get a car this year.

I could either go for a E30 M3 and save my money, childhood dream car. They look the part, prices are stabilised but Im thinking they will be too slow. I like speed.

Or if all goes to plan a black CSL circa £30-32k. I test drove one and fell in love with it, only thing is its a BMW 3 series.

The ultimate dream car would be a GT3, but we are talking 2 yrs of saving up here and no car until then which is going to be virtually impossible.

Butzi has triggered off something in my brain with regards to a LHD GT3. I have seen a mk1 in the classifieds for 39.999 with 40k on the clock. I had a look on mobile.de and there are GT3's on there with similar and less mileage for the equivalent of £32-35k! As it will only be me driving it, I can live with LHD and it will only be used for fun.

At the end of the day, I would rather have a GT3 over a CSL all day long.

Is this feasible? It cant cost too much to drive it over and get it mot'd and get the car uk registered can it?

Also I think the most hassle part of it would be getting the car checked over abroad? Obviously I can check for crash damage etc but the mechanicals I will have no clue on.

Tell me what you think guys...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119218

The lhd mk1 at £40k you refer to is well overpriced as you could have a similar rhd mk1 for that money.

A lhd 3 is a great option and will allow you to get the car you want rather than a stop gap. Paul at GT Classics (who Mick dealt with) would be able to source you a lhd 3 i'm sure within a £35k budget and he'll sort out all the necessaries.

Failing that you could do the groundwork yourself - go and view cars abroad. This will save some money but i'd think is good a bit more risky.

JG on here runs a lhd 3.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119223

I've just looked at the official OPC site and GT3 at dealers are starting at around 39k but with only 23k miles - that's not bad simply because your buying from an official dealer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119228

G, even a RHD isn't that far off your budget. SD imported his LHD Targa Tubby himself, but for me there's just too much hassle. Much easier to get one that's already here or GTClassics of H&S can source you one and import it for you for a small charge.

For a sunny sun day fun car, LHD is no prob at all. It's worth less but it cost you less to begin with. The other thing you might have to consider is extra cost for alarm / tracker etc as German cars don't always have the Thatcham alarms needed for ins company here. Not sure about headlights on a 996 but there's mot much else you need to do to have it registered. Total cost of fees and transortation for importing mine was @£800.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119236

That looks yummy, good price too!

BTW, you can always pay Paul from GTClassics to inspect the car for you, as he goes over quite frequently.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119248

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 21 February 2007

BTW, you can always pay Paul from GTClassics to inspect the car for you, as he goes over quite frequently.
'G' in a 'G'T3 ! Sounds good...

We can all say, there goes G in his 'G' !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119251

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 21 February 2007

A good option - I would definately consider LHD next time. Especially as, it is a second car and we like our trips in Europe. No good at the drive-in though. :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119267

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by vin_r1 on 21 February 2007

I've just looked at the official OPC site and GT3 at dealers are starting at around 39k but with only 23k miles - that's not bad simply because your buying from an official dealer.
Where ? I could not find any ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119272

LHD is brilliant, personally I would recomend it. I would be just as happy using LHD as a daily driver.

I was under the impression that the 996s had switch so that you could swap the headlights from LHD to RHD instantly, with no new parts.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119291

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by supersport on 21 February 2007

LHD is brilliant, personally I would recomend it. I would be just as happy using LHD as a daily driver.

I was under the impression that the 996s had switch so that you could swap the headlights from LHD to RHD instantly, with no new parts.
It has been said a few times. My 2001 doesn't have the "switch". So not exactly sure which model years it started (or stopped) in. The OPC I asked, didn't know the answer, although they showed me how to take the headlight out and check for free!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119292

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by supersport on 21 February 2007

It doesn't switch from RHD to LHD - just cancels the raised pattern that lights up the verge. I think it's only switchable with litronics on the 996? Worked on halogens on my 993, but I'm sure I read in the 996 handbook it was litronics only.

I prefer LHD for driving generally and on track, but it is a pain overtaking on minor roads: I'm driving a LHD Honda for work in the UK at the moment and it is quite dangerous trying to see around vans and trucks (especially as it has no power to get past even if it is clear!)

Parallel parking is a dodle though... :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119298

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back