Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New car - a few niggles..

Rawhide

I did 350 miles this weekend in my new car. It's my first porsche so I'm loving life (C2 2002) :)
It's also the first time I've driven it apart from in rush hour traffic after picking it up. I was also very pleasantly suprised to see it' averaged 34mpg after motorway crusing back to London at 'normal' motorway speeds with a bit of traffic jams. I know I won't get that when giving it some beans but I'm happy with those figures for now.

However I have noticed a couple of things which aren't right. There is a bit of wind noise coming in around the windscreen area directly in front of me. I recognise the noise as I used to have a convertible and it's similar. The car is still under OPC warranty so I'm hoping window seals would be covered. I think it's reasonable to expect a car like this not to have a problem like that. I'm hoping Porsche will too.

My girlfriend has complained of a draught coming in from the base of her door. Is this the rubber trim that I've read about? I'm not too worried about it but if it leaks water in I'll not be happy. Is this something that can also be looked at under warranty?

Thirdly, and this is the hardest one to isolate, but there is a slight rattle / clonk noise as I go over bad surfaces. It sounds like it's coming from the front right side of the car and 'feels' like I can feel it through the steering. However as this is my first porsche I'm not sure if the steering feedback is normal and I'm just feeling the bumps as normal. It's not as loud or pronounced as a CV joint or wheel bearing failure and I wouldn't expect it at 20k either. It sounds more like something in the front boot area that might be loose or something around the dash area. I know this is not much to go on but does anyone have any idea or is this one for a porsche tech to look at.

I've decided to continue the OPC warranty for another year.

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118631

Rawhide Glad you are enjoying your car but I am sure you will enjoy it a lot more when you get the MPG down into the teens. 8)

The window seals being a bit noisy and squeaky is quite common in the 996's. Should be something that can be easily sorted by the OPC. My current car was squeaking on the initial test drive but was remedied when I took it out the next time.

Not sure about the 2nd point but the third may be something really daft. My previous 996 started making a rattle and clonking noise going over speed bumps etc. Turned out to be the jack had worked itself a loose from the Space saver tyre in the front boot. :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118653

Agree with Dave. 996 Window seals do not like pressure washers and there are a couple of OPCs around that I am told have a reputation for using them to clean the windscreen. I have had mine replaced under warranty by Reading after it spent a day at another OPC who have a reputation for being a bit trigger happy with the Karcher.

Draft around the bottom of the door sounds a little more serious. Check that the spacing around the door is perfect. The gap between the door and the surrounding panels should be constant and they should be absolutely flush. OPC and Warranty can fix this, but might indicate bodywork repairs.

As Dave says check the tools and jack are firmly fastened. Lots of feedback through that steering and even the smallest things can be felt. I have a couple of times after a track day taken the towing eye of and just put it in the boot and on the way back from the track ended up on the side of the road wondering what I had broken.

However as Dave indicates the most serious problem is your MPG. You need to be looking at below 21 MPG or the soul of the car may be damaged beyond repair :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118660

Thanks guys. Yeah I expect I will usually be in the teens. And don't worry the car is going on the track as soon as I can get it there. Also looking for Insurance that is 'ring friendly' so I can get my fix this year.

I'll check the tool area. I'm hoping it's something like that. I'm sure it's nothing serious, just annoying.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118682

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back